Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Factory made, price < 500 €/$
[ 386 ] (53.6%)
Factory made, price < 1000 €/$
[ 124 ] (17.2%)
Factory made, price < 2000 €/$
[ 80 ] (11.1%)
Factory made, price > 2000 €/$
[ 78 ] (10.8%)
Self made, prepared Kit, price < 800 €/$
[ 10 ] (1.4%)
Self made, prepared kit, price < 2000 €/$
[ 5 ] (0.7%)
Self made, prepared kit, price > 2000 €/$
[ 1 ] (0.1%)
Self made, own design and constr. < 800 €/$
[ 16 ] (2.2%)
Self made, own design and constr. < 2000 $
[ 13 ] (1.8%)
Self made, own design and constr. > 2000 $
[ 7 ] (1%)

Total Members Voted: 1252

Topic: What speakers are you using on your \'good\' stereo system ? (Read 294141 times) previous topic - next topic

What speakers are you using on your \'good\' stereo system ?

Reply #300
In my dedicated, custom built listening room, I have a high-end system based around a full set of MartinLogan Electrostats.

This highly customized setup features an Infinite Baffle sub and a totally custom electrostat / line array center channel I designed and built to keep up with my Monoliths.

Custom active crossovers based on DBX 4800 speaker processors are used to drive 15 channels of amplification, all of which is fronted by the awesome Denon AVP preamp. With a full Audyssey Pro room correction applied on top of a full-on acoustic treatment, the room performance is the best I've ever heard.

Feeding high-quality multichannel audio from a DenonLink attached disc player as well as over 8ch HDMI feed from Foobar2000 running on my HTPC, I have all the quality and convenience I could want.

Description of the System at my Site.

Description of the Center Channel design and Build at the MartinLogan owners club.

A pic of my Center and Infinite Baffle Sub:

Panoramic pic of the room:

Reply #301
At least I have one more remote than JonFo has

5 years ago  I chose  Canton ergo 702dc or more like they chose me. I have been grateful ever since.

I got a good price as they were the last of the light colour line, to be replaced by the above cherry, and they were demos.
They are perfect for my taste, for use with TV, movies and music. Also as a bonus, they are solid, natural, beautifully crafted and are aesthetically pleasing.

I did add on a Canton Ergo  centre cm502  and 2 years ago a 12" Energy bass woofer.

Reply #302
Mackie HR824mkII monitors from a MOTU Traveler with Black Lion Audio Mod's and a Black Lion Audio Sparrow Word Clock. Sounds gooood

Reply #303
I spent about 10 years looking for speakers that i wanted in my home. I decided on a pair of Anthony Galllo Acoustic Reference 3.1's.  I am very satisfied with them for now.
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile

Reply #304
Asus sound card -> YBA amp -> Totem speakers + REL sub

I went the hifi way as opposed to a balanced/shielded studio setup. I don't have enough equipment and cables to worry about interference. Might upgrade to an external DAC in the future, but all cabling is analog for now.

Reply #305
My setup is NAS -> sonos zp80 -> Musical fidelity x-150 -> Orpheus aurora 3's speakers

My advice for anyone looking at speakers - take 2 or 3 of your favourite cd's into your local hifi store, and listen to all the speakers they have in their auditioning room. I found quite a lot of difference, particularly in the bass, between the speakers under $2500. I chose mine based on sounding the most neutral compared to the most expensive headphones they had in store.

Above $2500, all the speakers I listened to were both very loud and very expensive.

Reply #306
Optical out (Foobar) -> Behringer DEQ2496 (Uses AK4393 DAC )-> QSC CX404 -> Paradigm Reference Signature 8
My Response was very flat, the system is so revealing to the point where I've started to realize how poor many recordings are.
The time you have a fantastic recording it rewards you in spades.
I love it!

Reply #307
Kef 104/2 with new tweeters, driven through a media server with m audio 1010lt soundcard into  hypex AS 2.100 poweramps via spdif, using 48000hz sampling.
I had used a behringer deq before, but found that the difference in sound between auto eq'ed signal and the non eq'ed signal was so insignificant
that there was really no justification in keeping the deq in the chain.

Reply #308
I have a pair of active Siegfried Linkwitz Pluto´s plus 4 subs. Subs are powerd by a Behringer A500 amp. Preamp is a commtell 3 way audio video switch with a diy Alps pot. Cd Player is a Pioneer CLD 950, Soundcard is a EMU 0202 usb and a MOTU 896 MK1.

Reply #309
Yamaha A-S300->Microlab Pure 1

Reply #310
A pair of Bill Perkins hand built PR-2 speakers
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #311
LinkwitzLab Pluto 2.1's

Reply #313
Magnepan MMG with REL Serie T7 sub

Reply #314
I play music using Desktop Computer and foobar2000 and Windows XP with Direct Sound driver.

I sit in various Yoga positions on the floor in the corner of a small carpeted room without conventional tables or chairs; props are hacked together on demand from hardware scraps.

At the far end of the room: 2x Fostex SM6600 rearfield studio monitors, with a dedicated Yamaha MX-55 power amp which has gain control for each channel.

Just in font of me at arms length and head height: 2x TDL Electronics nearfield monitors, with a dedicated Yamaha MX-55 power amp which has gain control for each channel.

Line Out from Computer splitting the signal to both amps, and adjust the gain controls on the amps so all 4 speakers present a balanced sound stage.

All cables are professional quality and the RCA connectors are made by Neutrik AG.

No Preamp or Filters or EQ or other hardware used in the signal path ...ocassionally, I will use the built-in EQ of foobar2000.

In summary, it's a 2+2 stereo hi-fi listening system designed by and for a hedonistic cave dweller.

Reply #315
Sonos ZP90 -> Arcam rDAC -> Naim Nait 5i -> PMC GB1i

I don't know how I ended up with "i series" from two different manufacturers.  I knew them both as "that one" when I bought them.

Reply #317
My speakers are Dynaudio Focus MKII floorstanding speakers.

Reply #318
Still using Magnat Monitor A bought by my dad in 1989 when i was 16teen. 

Reply #319
Still using Magnat Monitor A bought by my dad in 1989 when i was 16teen. 

Well... mine are newer: Infinity RS 2001 bought in may 1990 together with a Rotel RA-820AX with all my student's savings and listened practically each and every day since (woofer refoamed in summer 2001).

Definitely my longer lasting love affair! 
... I live by long distance.

Reply #320
My system comprises Arcam CD37 with A38 amplifier and either Sennheiser HD800 headphones or B&W CM8 speakers, all cables Audioquest 

Reply #321
I have had a bit of a dilema in my search for the sound I know I can get.  My main system is an Integra receiver feeding Paradigm speakers - Monitor 9 floor-standers, with closely matched sub and surrounds.  Sound comes from the PC, as FLAC files through a music server to the receiver.  Sounds very good, especially with content like piano and female voice, and movies are spectacular.  But for music, I still prefer my basement setup--Bottlehead kit vacuum tube preamp feeding a Marantz solid state power amp into some 70's-era Advent 2-way speakers with some driver modifications.  Sound is incredibly smooth, yet punchy.  I can listen for hours.  Frustrating because I can't get the Paradigm system to sound that "pleasing".  I suspect it may be the speakers, because I have moved the Paradigm's to the tube system, and it still lacked something.  I think there is definitely something to the vacuum tube / paper cone sound that is very pleasing.

Reply #322
My room doesn't allow me to have some high end speakers, so I use some M-audio BX5 studio monitors with an asus xonar essence one. It's pretty decent and they serve as PC sound system as well.

Reply #323
ATC SCM 20 ASL Pros. Best I've ever had. Shall undoubtedly upgrade to the 50's at some stage.

Reply #324
Celestion DL8 Series two. Don't need anything else. Ever.
These are not mine my camera needs fresh batteries.