Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bis Records (Read 1973 times) previous topic - next topic

Bis Records

So, Arny raved a while ago about a recent Beethoven symphony record on Bis and its obscene dynamic range. This intrigued me quite a bit, so I dug up some more information on Bis, and found this interview with its founder whereupon it is implied that some of its records have been directly implicated in physical damage to hifi systems. (The founder also expressed displeasure at not being able to release excellent-sounding 16-bit recordings because of irrational high-res worship in the audiophile marketplace. Nice.) And all thoughts of that being idle bluster were vaporized when I found some speculation on SA-CD.net (a notorious fount of woo) that certain Bis records were too dynamic.

So I bought their recording of Jon Leifs's Symphony No. 1 on iTunes - the discs themselves cost ~$20, and the lossy downloads are all ~$10, and I'm cheaping out right now and grabbing the AACs. And yeah - for lack of a better comment, this record brings on the thunk. And the music and performance are great too.

I think I'm in luuuuuuuuve. And I think my days of buying bargain-price, relatively poorly mastered classical may be coming to a close.