Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ABR for the LAME ACM codec (Read 3526 times) previous topic - next topic

ABR for the LAME ACM codec

I added the code to support Average Bitrate in the LAME CVS.

So wait for new updates of the LAME ACM codec (onyl found in alpha builds so far) binaries.

If it's too long (or too much requests) I'll put my release version (which is fairly optimized) on the web.

Reply #2
Frankly, I'm amazed at the turtle-like slowness of Lame development, at least on the Windows side.  ACM is usually considered a standard/default, in some cases necessary to even be taken seriously at all.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, open source coding can be deathly slow, although it doesn't have to be that way.  What I hear from certain programmers (not referring to you) is "too busy, too busy" -- which indicates to me, lack of interest.  People make time for what they're interested in.

Anyway, thanks for the update, appreciated.

Reply #3
I agree that when projects are not sponsored by companies who can submit the money, it's very slow. Even on popular projects like LAME.

But at least it's there. People involve a lot of their free time in that.

It took me many months before I found the time (and will) to make that codec. And it's not even considered as an important part of LAME.

So, as Massive Attack says "Just be thankfull for what you've got".

(and take some time to submit your feature requests and bug fixes on sourceforge)

Also, if some people are willing to involve some money in LAME, developpers could take some free vacations to work more on it

There's no secret.

Reply #4
I guess I'm spoiled by dedicated freeware sites/coders like AnalogX... admittedly, dedication is a rare thing.  People are scattered between many different activities, attention spans are short in the 00's.  I can understand somewhat, as an occasional programmer -- I can't program much, because in some ways it's almost an obsessive activity.  Your lover (or mother) walks in the room, you say "get out, I can't concentrate" . 

Sure, I'm glad for Lame, although I was making due with other encoders until Lame started getting mature enough to take seriously.  I just meant to indicate a sense of surprise, not one of indignation or puerility.  I'm just as surprised that Linux progressed at such a crawl (although picking up speed lately).  It could have taken the desktop already... so many complainers and so few dedicated coders.

Anyway, just reflecting... thanks again for contributing to the project.  Maybe one day I'll contribute something, other than just more talk -- I would like to.

Reply #5
Originally posted by robUx4

So, as Massive Attack says "Just be thankfull for what you've got".

Great song and great cover by Massive Attack.

Originally, it is a 1974 soul classic by William DeVaughn. There's more info about it on Allmusic.

Also, if some people are willing to involve some money in LAME, developpers could take some free vacations to work more on it

<cough> So, where i can send my money? 

Reply #6
Originally posted by Kim_C
<cough> So, where i can send my money? 

Unfortunately nowhere (yet?).
Maybe that would be something to propose to Sourceforge : donations...