Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Imaginary plans for a new UI (Read 9292 times) previous topic - next topic

Imaginary plans for a new UI

That would be neat, bubbleguuum. I am trying to convince my friend to develop a replacement for PanelsUI, and a Default UI SDK would certainly sweeten the pot!  If a Default UI SDK were released, would it be possible to use Default UI-specific components in another UI (Like the imaginary Panels UI replacement)?

If this imaginary component were developed, how would it utilize a robust programming language? I believe Chronflow uses Microsoft's jscript; does it just interpret the code using the language parameters or does it use a resident outside compiler to display the contents? I'm formulating a plan of attack here so most of the major work my friend will have to do will be a) familiarize with the foobar SDKs and b) develop the C++ code to take said programming language and turn it into visuals.

I hope I'm on the right track here, and I'd love to set this new component on the right course towards exceptional visuals and welcome interface with Foobar2000 1.0.

On a more visionary note ( if possible  ), I hope the ultimate ability of this plugin will have a WYSIWYG layout arrangement option so you could create squares and turn them into text boxes, images, (text or image) buttons, or panels without having to code it line by line by hand.

The major un/forunate point of contention toward this theoretical UI's creation is the fact that my friend is beginning his first post university job within a week! He's estimated such an endeavor could take 6 months minimum  !

Thank you for reading!

Reply #1
Now that this post has graduated to its own topic  I welcome any suggestions, ideas, et cetera. 

Reply #2
Yes I waited for this 

I think people should make suggestions what they would like to have as ui.

I hope the ultimate ability of this plugin will have a WYSIWYG layout arrangement option so you could create squares and turn them into text boxes, images, (text or image) buttons, or panels without having to code it line by line by hand.

This would be really cool. A attempt in this direction is the panel splitter for CUI. But a WYSIWYG would be so coool.

I would want a UI that is like foobar2000 itself easy to use but with a wide range of options.

Reply #3
Ok, I agree, do it.

Reply #4
I estimate that there will be zero news on this for at least six months.  But I won't hold any developments back, either.

I think the initial version might be on par with panels UI as far as learning curve, but then again, I've never developed any components before.

Reply #5
So is somebody working on this or something? I never saw the topic this was split from.

Reply #6
yes and no, mostly no. I'm gathering information as best I could on how to write such a component.

Reply #7
@Walterrrr

Sounds good so far and a new panels_ui-like component would be nice to see. Hopefully your friend is using a nicer scripting language (or develops the WYSIWYG-Editor). Would be really fascinating.

@iscaryoth

It crashes for me with a runtime error from Visual C++.

Reply #8
basically I'd like a stable panels ui with a wysiwyg editor.
Ignorance is bliss.

Reply #9
@Horst Fux:
Basically, he could use any language as nothing has been developed at all: just talkin'. What do you think would be the best that would accommodate the functions I was talking about and probably more?

Reply #10
@Horst Fux:
Basically, he could use any language as nothing has been developed at all: just talkin'. What do you think would be the best that would accommodate the functions I was talking about and probably more?

The main things I would enjoy with a "new panels UI" would be:

- Ability to 'style' text. Such as color, bold, underline, italic, size, face etc.
- Images I can scale bigger or smaller than their actual size
- Display panels (basically the SAME way that Panels UI does it right now). It would be awesome to be able to layer them with no glitches / make them translucent too.
- Buttons with custom actions (kinda like how PUI does it, but make it easier)
- A new function to switch between panels (instead of using pvars)

So based on this, I think a Javascript / CSS based layout would fit these needs for sure.

EDIT: Even better, but probably MUCH less feasable would be a PHP based layout. Then we can include PHP, HTML, CSS, JS and whatever else PHP can run. Plus I know PHP haha .
Song List: keikoniumboards.ke.funpic.org/files/songlist.html

Reply #12
idea about html-based (Gecko or WebKit) foobar's layout matures a long time, maybe moment has come? :-)
Thinking Outside The Box

Reply #13
Ok, HTML-based layout. See, since one year no one is willing to create such a component.

Reply #14
Yeah, html-based layout could be a really classy thing if it goes in the right direction. I mean, look at Songbird – it's just a congested media player / browser on a lame rendering base. But if it possible to give the plugin a html-based layout with a functionality to add web-informations like in amarok it would be fantastic.

I think many users wanna see a amarok-like integration of wikipedia or even last.fm with many informations and an accordingly enhanced media-experience just because of the new possibilities.

We already "talked" about it in this thread:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....c=62423&hl=

So long