Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Downsampling issue (Read 36980 times) previous topic - next topic

Downsampling issue

Sorry for the noob question. I have downsampled a 48kHz wav file to 44.1kHz. In doing so, I have lost all frequencies between 22kHz and 24kHz. Trouble is now some s's sound like f's. Any way to keep those frequencies? Thanks.

Re: Downsampling issue

Reply #1
That shouldn't have happened.    What format is the file?    What did you use to downsample?    I assume you still have the original?

I have lost all frequencies between 22kHz and 24kHz
Yes, of course.  The Nyquist limit is half the sample rate.  But those frequencies are inaudible anyway.   (Even if you have super-bat hearing you can't hear the highest frequencies in the context of music or other normal program material.)

Reply #2
The file is .wav and yes I still have the original. To downsample I tried both Audacity and Reaper, but got the best result (i.e. the less noisy spectral analysis) with foobar2000. You are right, those frequencies are inaudible anyway but then I wonder why s's have turned into f's after downsampling (for example the word Mindfulness now sounds something like Mindfulneff).

Reply #3
The file is .wav and yes I still have the original. To downsample I tried both Audacity and Reaper, but got the best result (i.e. the less noisy spectral analysis) with foobar2000. You are right, those frequencies are inaudible anyway but then I wonder why s's have turned into f's after downsampling (for example the word Mindfulness now sounds something like Mindfulneff).

Clipping? 

Reply #4
s's have turned into f's after downsampling (for example the word Mindfulness now sounds something like Mindfulneff).
1) Upload samples (original and downsampled), then we'll look at them.
2) Maybe your player upsamples 44.1 kHz audio to 48 kHz and uses some bad algorithm.

Reply #6
I can't see or hear anything wrong.
Upsample your 44.1 kHz audio back to 48 kHz and listen to it. If it sounds right then it means that the problem is in your playback chain.

Reply #7
Thank you. Here attached is the upsampled version, from 44.1 back to 48kHz. Resampler is foobar2000 PPHS. I still can hear f's instead of s's in the word "mindfulness" which is repeated 3 times in the audio. If everything sounds fine to you, then its definitely my playback chain. Thanks again.

Reply #8
I can't see or hear anything wrong.
Upsample your 44.1 kHz audio back to 48 kHz and listen to it. If it sounds right then it means that the problem is in your playback chain.
I agree, cannot hear anything wrong.  I just did a double-check (my hearing is very well trained for verifying signal processing artifacts), and if I hear a difference, it would be insignificant.  (a difference of 1/2 dB below about 10kHz can seriously disturb me, and I don't hear a noticeable difference.  Above about that frequency I have problems distinguishing signal levels)*
* I don't claim absolutely accurate hearing, rather I am very sensitive to certain kinds of defects.

John

Reply #9
It could just be an auditory illusion.

In that case you're not actually hearing a difference in the sound, there is no difference in the sound, but your brain wants you to interpret the Ss as Fs and so you hear Fs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0

Reply #10
Thanks everyone for your checks and suggestions. Next step will be to ascertain whether its just a playback issue, an auditory illusion or a mix of both.

Reply #11
Here attached is the upsampled version, from 44.1 back to 48kHz. Resampler is foobar2000 PPHS. I still can hear f's instead of s's in the word "mindfulness" which is repeated 3 times in the audio.
Next step will be to ascertain whether its just a playback issue, an auditory illusion or a mix of both.

Try to ABX the original and twice converted (48->44.1->48) audiosamples.