Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lossless joining of MP3 files on MS Windows (Read 4597 times) previous topic - next topic

Lossless joining of MP3 files on MS Windows

I have a problem with joining MP3 files on Linux, where I ended up resorting to transcoding the files to a high bit rate for joining purposes.  This is because I was unable to create standard MP3 files, i.e. they would not play properly on all software and hardware MP3 players.  So moving away from Linux, is it possible to join MP3 files on MS Windows losslessly, yet keeping them as standard MP3 files, i.e. the MP3 files should be playable in all standard software and hardware players.

I would really really like not to have to transcode just to join MP3 files.

This was my original thread:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=84543

Reply #1
you could try mp3directcut...

http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html

on the "file" menu you'll find a dialog for batch processing and then use "join files".

Reply #2
Thankyou for explaining that.  I've tried mp3directcut many times and could never work it out.

Reply #3
Thankyou for explaining that.  I've tried mp3directcut many times and could never work it out.

The Copy and Paste in mp3directcut is also useful for such things.

BTW, if you have some non-compliant decoders that can't handle the change in bitrate, there are a couple of things to try to avoid transcoding:

1 Use Foobar2000's Repair/Rebuild MP3 Stream on a copy of your file to see if it works (also Fix VBR Headers may help).
2 Use mp3packer in the optional mode of creating a CBR file (think it was -Z) to appease non-compliant decoders that assume CBR.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD