Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is it possible to exceed Bitrate: VBR 554.4 kbps? (Read 4003 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it possible to exceed Bitrate: VBR 554.4 kbps?

I know, I know...at this point in time it's against better judgement. But, is it possible to exceed this? And, if so how? I would like to be able to use these on a standard audio player. Thanks Jeff

Reply #1
I'm not quite sure I understand what you are talking about here.

Which format are you referring to first of all?  If you are referring to mp3, then vbr over 320kbps is impossible.  As far as I know, freeformat (mp3 over 320kbps) doesn't even call for vbr.  It may be possible to force an encoder to construct a freeformat vbr bitstream, but no players out there currently would even play it.  And most software players don't even play standard freeformat, let alone hardware players (again not sure what you mean by "standard audio player").

If you are talking about mp3 again, you aren't by any chance getting the bitrate information from Windows Media Player are you?  The 554.4kbps part kind of sounds like that's the case...

Reply #2
The VBR information of 554.4 is comming from winamp. What I like to know is, is it possible to exceed this bitrate?

Reply #3
Originally posted by jjarmak
The VBR 554.4 is comming from winamp. What I like to know is can we exceed this and then write the file to audio cd? So, that it atleast playable on the computer if not on standard audio equipment.

Sorry, but i don't understand one word of this. Please rephrase.

Reply #4
What I like to know is can we exceed this and then write the file to audio cd? So, that it atleast playable on the computer if not on standard audio equipment.

If you really want high bitrates use lossless. Wav files have bitrate of ~1400kbps and they can be burned on audio cds without any special tools.

Reply #5
Case, thankyou for the response. However, what would you reccomend if I were to tell you that I am looking to keep file sizes down and that lossless or leaving audio files as wav's are generally too large for what I had in mind. To give you an example of what I am looking for. I would like to keep an audio file of approximately 7 minutes and 21 seconds down to about 76,031kb. Thanks

Reply #6
To give you an example of what I am looking for. I would like to keep an audio file of approximately 7 minutes and 21 seconds down to about 76,031kb. Thanks

Sorry, but my calculator gives bitrate ~1400kbps to this, which means audio cd bitrate.

Edit: The above is for 76031 KB, if you meant kbits, then I recommend mpc --standard

Reply #7
at 76MB or thereabouts for a 7:21 minute song, you're looking at about 170-180Kbps.  MPC standard or even with the --xtreme switch will give excellent results at this average bitrate.

Reply #8
I'm a little lost with your math here... a 16bit 44.1KHz stereo song that is 7:21 long is just over 74MB uncompressed, how can it be 76MB at 170-180Kbps?  At 180Kbps it should only be about 9.5MB.

Reply #9
Originally posted by _Shorty
I'm a little lost with your math here... a 16bit 44.1KHz stereo song that is 7:21 long is just over 74MB uncompressed, how can it be 76MB at 170-180Kbps?  At 180Kbps it should only be about 9.5MB.
I'm a little lost with the original post...

If you delete the first four words from gdougherty's post, then I think he was repsponding to this part of the question:
However, what would you reccomend if I were to tell you that I am looking to keep file sizes down and that lossless or leaving audio files as wav's are generally too large for what I had in mind.
I'm really not sure what the point of this thread is, since he first asked about how to exceed some random extreme bitrate, and then asks how to keep filesizes low. Ingenious troll, or just didn't want to start another thread? :ponder:

Reply #10
I guess being new,as I am,he is unsure of the board etiquette,a troll I doubt just keen to understand the subject and learn lots,without a hundred different threads :confused:

Reply #11
Originally posted by Tinribs
I guess being new,as I am,he is unsure of the board etiquette,a troll I doubt just keen to understand the subject and learn lots,without a hundred different threads :confused:
Point taken. I've just never met someone with so many questions in so small a time frame  So my suspicious reaction was unwarranted. I apologize.

I'm happy that the board is getting new members eager to learn. This is definitely the right place to do it. When I first signed up on this board, I read just about every archived thread on the board.  I didn't post much at all, and when I did, I usually looked pretty dumb... and perhaps I still do 

This board has taught me a lot, both about audio coding and about people. That's why I really enjoy giving back to it by answering questions that I actually know the answer to, because I want to give something back. I may not be the perfect board member, with my frequent rambling, off-topic posts (like this one), but I still try to do what I can. Before you know it, new members, you'll be seeing familiar questions you can instantly recognize and answer