Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MathAudio Room EQ for Foobar2000 (Read 140813 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: MathAudio Room EQ for Foobar2000

Reply #125
The network player has no other computer connection than  wifi or network cable. The usb is for music files only.  And Reaper doesn't show / see the network player either (although windows 10 does). So its not gonna work I ques.
It is strange that Foobar2000 can work with the driver of your network speakers but Reaper cannot do it. Open Reaper, go to Options -> Preferences -> Audio -> Device and click the "Audio system" drop list. It will show you the list of available audio drivers. Select the driver of your network speakers if it is available. If it is not available, I don't see any simple and reliable methods to overcome this problem...

Reply #126
Hello Audioclassic, if you are still having problems with Reaper, I suggest you to use the free CARLA DAW/VST host.
I am using it and it is excellent.

Reply #127
Strange as it is, the driver can be seen in windows 10 and in foobar20000, but not in Mathaudio and not in Reaper. I quess the Carla Daw/Vst host is for Linux, I am just a stupid windows 10 user. A possibility for room equalization with dlna is difficult to find. I found somewhere that maybe in Jriver there is a possibility with plugins. I hate to leave foobar2000, but I will research this further.
Thanks for the responses.

Reply #128
Hello Audioclassic, ... of course you should download the appropriate Carla for your platform.
However, if you are using Windows 7 or 10, I would now suggest to use Cantabile 3 free edition (registration required, but absolutely free).
I moved to it a couple of weeks ago and I found it better for this application (easier to use and lighter in terms of resources used).

Reply #129
Hello Audioclassic, ... of course you should download the appropriate Carla for your platform.
However, if you are using Windows 7 or 10, I would now suggest to use Cantabile 3 free edition (registration required, but absolutely free).
I moved to it a couple of weeks ago and I found it better for this application (easier to use and lighter in terms of resources used).
It looks like Cantabile doesn't work with DLNA too. Audioclassic uses network speakers and he needs DLNA.

Reply #130
I found a workaround for using dlna and mathaudio. I read you can make a wav file of a measurement sweep in REW. Using  2 computers you can than measure in one with foobar and mathaudio and set a delay of 15 seconds. With the other computer you play the measurement sweep wav file in foobar exactly at the right time. I don't know how good a REW sweep measument file is for Mathaudio but it does work. Nevertheless its about time someone creates a room eq software that is ready for dlna😊. A lot of people will be using dlna at the moment. I have a Panasonic network player with 2 KEF speakers and under each speakers a REL subwoofer. I guess a lot of people now have a setup like this. Thanks for all the answers.

Reply #131
I found a workaround for using dlna and mathaudio. I read you can make a wav file of a measurement sweep in REW. Using  2 computers you can than measure in one with foobar and mathaudio and set a delay of 15 seconds. With the other computer you play the measurement sweep wav file in foobar exactly at the right time. I don't know how good a REW sweep measument file is for Mathaudio but it does work. Nevertheless its about time someone creates a room eq software that is ready for dlna😊. A lot of people will be using dlna at the moment. I have a Panasonic network player with 2 KEF speakers and under each speakers a REL subwoofer. I guess a lot of people now have a setup like this. Thanks for all the answers.
There is a free program that streams audio from PC to DLNA: https://www.streamwhatyouhear.com/
Hopefully it could send the sweep sound from Room EQ to your network speakers. You may want to try it.
The WAV sound from REW produces a substantial measurement error if you use it with Room EQ.

Reply #132
OK, the REW  WAV file did work but the result doesn't sound good indeed. I tried stream what you hear before, but this gives a delay that makes it unusable for mathaudio (and for youtube film)

Reply #133
If the developers read this: please keep the presets when upgrading the component. fb2k went completely silent until I could search through my files to find it.

Reply #134
If the developers read this: please keep the presets when upgrading the component. fb2k went completely silent until I could search through my files to find it.
Foobar2000 automatically resets the preset when the size of the new preset is not equal to the size of the old preset. We recommend to save the old preset as a SNR file before upgrading the component. The SNR file helps you to manually restore your preset.

Reply #135
News
New version released ( v2.7.2 ).
The new version allows one to redo the last measurement if an occasional noise has happened during the measurement.
Please don't forget to save your preset as a SNR file before upgrading the component.

Reply #136
I am having problems with the software working on my computer. When Mathaudio is enabled in the DSP and opened, there is no response on the meter to show the microphone is picking up sound. The in/out button is not visible either. I can see that the Umik-1 is functioning in the recording properties of Windows 7. Clicking the button for a sweep does not function, no sound output from Mathaudio. If I am playing a song and click the sweep button it outputs the test signal but does not record. Output was changed with WASAPI, KS, ASIO, and direct Sound. 32bit DLL is loaded in Foobar. 

Is this not working because the Umik-1 is not recognized by MathAudio?

My chain is as follows; Computer - Berkeley Alpha USB - Tri-Vista 21 DAC - Pre Amp - Amplifiers - Speakers.

Software; Windows 7 Pro, Latest Foobar2k, MathAudio, Umik-1. Exclusive access checked in sound properties and tried unchecked.

All help appreciated!

Thanks Mark

Reply #137
I am having problems with the software working on my computer. When Mathaudio is enabled in the DSP and opened, there is no response on the meter to show the microphone is picking up sound. The in/out button is not visible either.
The "In/Out" button is absent in VST/AU versions of Room EQ. Make sure that you use the Foobar2000 version of Room EQ.

Reply #138
I am having problems with the software working on my computer. When Mathaudio is enabled in the DSP and opened, there is no response on the meter to show the microphone is picking up sound. The in/out button is not visible either.
The "In/Out" button is absent in VST/AU versions of Room EQ. Make sure that you use the Foobar2000 version of Room EQ.

Thank You for the response. I found out exactly as you noted, I loaded the incorrect DLL file. I can now try out the software.

Mark

Reply #139
Is there a way to minimize the room EQ window while using the playlist from Foobar, or am I thinking wrong. Once I close MathAudio while playing a song it stops. I know Dirac Lives playback engine does not interfere with or stay on top of the playlist window. After I save a correction file and start Foobar, do I have to open MathAudio on top to enable the use of the file created?

Mark

Reply #140
Is there a way to minimize the room EQ window while using the playlist from Foobar, or am I thinking wrong. Once I close MathAudio while playing a song it stops. I know Dirac Lives playback engine does not interfere with or stay on top of the playlist window. After I save a correction file and start Foobar, do I have to open MathAudio on top to enable the use of the file created?
Click the "Apply" button in the DSP Manager.

Reply #141
Hi,

A newbie question on MathAudio Room EQ/foobar.

The tutorial says "Place the microphone at your ear height. Set it vertically." which implies pointing to the ceiling...correct?
Therefore I should use the UMIK-1 microphone *_deg90 calibration file...

I just wanted to re-confirm my understanding...

Thanks!

Reply #142
The tutorial says "Place the microphone at your ear height. Set it vertically." which implies pointing to the ceiling...correct?
Therefore I should use the UMIK-1 microphone *_deg90 calibration file...
I just wanted to re-confirm my understanding...
Yes, you’re right.

Reply #143
Hello,

Another noobie question:  If I am doing the EQ for one MLP (main listening position), should I just take 1 measurement sample, or do a multi-point measurement?

If I should do a multi-point measurement, should I cover the 50cm2, or 90cm2 (90cm2 is larger than the MLP seat)?

**Mine is a HiFi Stereo setup.

Thanks for any pointer, and help understanding RoomEQ's difference between single measurement vs. multi-point measurement.

Reply #144
Hello Boxerfan88,
personally I do measurements only at the Golden Spot (MLP).
I also tested the multi points, but with my room geometry doesn't work better.
So, if you want to clear this matter, you should test both and then take the better result.
Regards, Andrea

Reply #145
Another noobie question:  If I am doing the EQ for one MLP (main listening position), should I just take 1 measurement sample, or do a multi-point measurement?
If I should do a multi-point measurement, should I cover the 50cm2, or 90cm2 (90cm2 is larger than the MLP seat)?
Thanks for any pointer, and help understanding RoomEQ's difference between single measurement vs. multi-point measurement.
A multi-point measurement is always better than a single-point measurement. Among other things, a single-point correction makes the sound more dependent on the location of your head.
The smaller the multi-point measurement area, the better the accuracy. The measurement area should be as small as possible, but it should cover all possible locations of your head. In other words, the size of the measurement area depends on your habits.

Reply #146
Hello AndreaT, k2k, thank you both for your very valuable inputs. I tried various combinations and settled on the small multi-point measurement @ MLP, as it sounded the best to my ears.

The measurement that I settled on was taken along the edges of 60cm x 30cm square @ MLP, 6 multi-point measurements.

Reply #147
@boxerfan88 : The Golden Spot should always be in. That's why the basic matrix is 9x9 = Golden Spot plus 8 points surrounding it.

@K2K: Sorry, I do not agree in full with you. In my case I have a precise listening point, my head is always placed there. So, in my case, the optimal correction would probably be a very small MLP (15 x 15 cm square area total) that simply doesn't make sense to consider.
I confirm that in my case the MLP equalization considering 90 x 90 cm area gave worse result than the single point equalization at the Golden Spot.
Regards, Andrea

Reply #148
Sorry, I do not agree in full with you. In my case I have a precise listening point, my head is always placed there. So, in my case, the optimal correction would probably be a very small MLP (15 x 15 cm square area total) that simply doesn't make sense to consider.
I confirm that in my case the MLP equalization considering 90 x 90 cm area gave worse result than the single point equalization at the Golden Spot.
Regards, Andrea
The length of the sound wave is equal to about 3 cm at frequency of 10 kHz. Consequently, if you move your measurement microphone a few centimeters far from its initial position, the superposition of the direct and reflected waves will be different (due to the difference of their phases), and the frequency response will be different too. The multipoint measurement minimizes this problem and helps to improve the accuracy of the measurement. If you are absolutely sure that you don't move your head, you may want to use a very small area for the multipoint measurement.

Reply #149
HI,
I installed mathaudio room eq: it sends lost of cracks in the speakers! (this is in room eq mode, with a calibration properly done). I tried with a second PC, and it's the same. Its very upsetting, because removing the component in foobar doesn't stop it. I had to remove foobar completely and re-install!!
any idea why?
thanks