Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New FLAC frontend beta (Read 70518 times) previous topic - next topic

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #25
Maybe making chcp an option (or an option to disable it) with a note in the readme that this feature doesn't work on XP?

I'll use some code that removes chcp from the batch file if running on XP. Really, this chcp-stuff is giving me lots of headache.

Wow, I was wondering if anyone would ever take up the mantle to improve/revamp Flac Frontend.  I wanted to pass along my initial observations:

- When configuring the frontend I checked the box for "Keep foreign metadata".  My first test was to decode some flac files and was immediately greeted with the command prompt error "ERROR reading foreign metadata: no foreign metadata found (017)".  Perhaps this is a flac.exe issue and is fixed with the new version?

That's not a bug, it's a feature. Keep foreign metadata is an 'advanced' feature and should only be used if you know what you're doing, so enabling it for decoding while there's no foreign metadata indeed returns an error, that's by design.

One favorite feature of the old Flac Frontend was the fact that it preserved the file date of the input files.  This version does not preserve the original file date

Weird, flac does this on linux by default as well. I'll take a look why this doesn't work on windows.

- Will the new Flac Frontend eventually have a config or ini file to save the settings?

I don't think so.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #26
Just curious, why does it need to write a batch file, instead of just running the executables with unicode command line?

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #27
Just curious, why does it need to write a batch file, instead of just running the executables with unicode command line?

The easiest way to feed back the output of the FLAC command is with the console. I tried to feed it back over the listbox but that didn't work very well. The problem is the status line that overwrites itself. Of course I could use a single command, but if a lot of files are given (>50) it has to be split into several commands because Windows has a certain maximum command length. If I would execute this without a batch file, several console windows would pop up to confuse the user.

I could try another way to display the output via the GUI though, with a textbox instead of a listbox. Maybe that would work.

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #28
I've to admit to never having tested it myself, but can't you just allocate a console for your gui program and execute processes using it?

edit: here is some test code
Code: [Select]
#include <qtgui/qtgui>
#include <windows.h>
#pragma comment( lib, "shell32.lib" )

void showConsole( HWND parent ) {
  FreeConsole();
  AllocConsole();
  if ( HWND console = GetConsoleWindow() ) {
    RECT r;
    GetWindowRect( console, &r );
    SetParent( console, parent );
    MoveWindow( console, 48, 48, r.right, r.bottom, TRUE );
    SetConsoleOutputCP(CP_UTF8); // assuming "Lucida console" font was selected already
  }
}

void run( wchar_t app[], wchar_t * cmd ) {
  STARTUPINFOW si;
  ZeroMemory( & si, sizeof( si ) );
  si.cb = sizeof( si );
  PROCESS_INFORMATION pi;
  ZeroMemory( & pi, sizeof( pi ) );
  if ( CreateProcessW( app, cmd, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, & si, & pi ) ) {
    DWORD exit_code = 0;
    do {
      QCoreApplication::processEvents( QEventLoop::ExcludeUserInputEvents );
      GetExitCodeProcess( pi.hProcess, &exit_code );
    } while( exit_code == STILL_ACTIVE );
    CloseHandle( pi.hProcess );
    CloseHandle( pi.hThread );
  }
}
void run( wchar_t app[], QString const& cmd ) {
  run( app, (wchar_t*)cmd.utf16() );
}

char utf16_test[] = { 0x22, 0x04, 0x40, 0x04, 0x30, 0x04, 0x32, 0x04, 0x43, 0x04, 0x48, 0x04, 0x3a, 0x04, 0x30, 0x04, 0x2e, 0x00, 0x77, 0x00, 0x61, 0x00, 0x76, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 };
QString const file = QString("E:\\dev-privat\\testsongs\\%1").arg(QString::fromUtf16((ushort*)utf16_test).trimmed());

int main(int argc, char** args) {
  QApplication app( argc, args );
  QMainWindow win;
  win.show();
  showConsole( win.effectiveWinId() );
  QString const cmd( "LAME.EXE --nohist -V0 --out-dir . \"%1\"" );
  run( L"LAME.EXE", cmd.arg(file) );
  run( L"LAME.EXE", cmd.arg("testcase.wav") );
  run( L"LAME.EXE", cmd.arg("W:\\CD\\Duffy\\2008-Rockferry\\07 Mercy.wav") );
  app.exec();
  return 0;
}

and the snapshot:
[attachment=7435:console_test.png]

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #29
This little exercise showed me, there is a bug in LAME displaying the input file name, if it contains non ansi chars. So it was worth it. (look into above screenshot to see what this means)

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #30
Nice stuff! Thanks for trying! I'll definitely check that out, looks promising.

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #31
It took a while (some bumps on the way) but it's fixed. Now FLAC frontend uses it's own console to process files instead of using a batch-file. Furthermore, I've created an installer that checks whether .NET Framework 2.0 is present and the program itself checks whether flac.exe and metaflac.exe are in it's path. This release uses the FLAC 1.3.0pre2 patched by Case for Unicode support, so it's not recommended to encode/decode anything critical with this.

The (MSI) installer can be downloaded from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/flacfronte...03.msi/download

I still have a zip for those who like it.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/flacfronte...03.zip/download

Please report any bugs found. The installer and program have been checked on Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7.

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #32
Nice.
Not a big deal but text not clearing completely on file names with special characters. This is a FLAC 1.3.0pre2 problem though, not the frontend. Just mentioning it.

Code: [Select]
flac 1.3.0pre2, Copyright © 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009  Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for details.

test èéë.flac: ok                    [b]te[/b]
test.flac: ok
test èéëèéë.flac: ok                    [b]plete[/b]
Press any key to continue . . .
I don't see this when this frontend is using FLAC 1.2.1
korth

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #33
Thanks! Works fine here.
One thing i noticed is the replaygain values are the same for higher samplingrate material as the corresponding downsampled 44.1kHz version of it, nice. The value seems to be the same as the good old metaflac has calculated. I know this is not related to the frontend itself but maybe someone wonders.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #34
Not a big deal but text not clearing completely on file names with special characters.

I know, but that's a work in progress. As the patch has not been merged yet (and I guess this is a part that the patch "forgot", while it is already a very large patch), I'll wait with reporting it until it is merged. Otherwise, it makes merging only more difficult I guess.

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #35
Am I right, you are not setting the console output to code page to utf-8?

SetConsoleOutputCP(CP_UTF8);

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #36
Indeed, I didn't set a codepage because chcp 65001 (which is the same but for use in batch files) gave me so much trouble, and now it seems to work well without setting a codepage.

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #37
Good find, korth. It seems I still had missed places where file name is printed, those need to call new printf function that converts internal UTF-8 to wide chars.

Robert, UTF-8 is not a valid codepage for console output. The function you mentioned will return error 0x32.

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #38
I'll have to check my test code again later, from what I remember, not calling that function resulted in using code page 850 on my windows 7 machine, instead of CP_UTF8.

windows error code 32: "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

From the error code, it looks like some process is using the newly created console already, likely the frontend itself.

Anyway, if the console uses CP_UTF8 already, then there is no need to change code page.

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #39
Codepage doesn't matter, it's doing the printing in unicode. The error was not 32 but 0x32, hex. It translates to "not supported". If you look at the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage you'll see that there are no UTF codepages there.

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #40
Ok, I've just looked again at my test program. The SetConsoleOutputCP(UTF_8) function call returns TRUE. Without this call, cyrillic text doesn't  display correctly anymore. Btw, LAME doesn't use wide character printing functions, it uses normal printf and friends.

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #41
This is curious. I had made a silly mistake in my test program where I assumed error when SetConsoleOutputCP returned non-zero. It returns success code here too yet GetLastError returns "not supported" right afterwards. Also printing with WriteConsole gives UTF-8 garbage codes instead of translating them to anything intelligible. If this is supposed to work it certainly requires extra magic to take place.

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #42
I have just uploaded a new version, beta 4. It is available for download here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/flacfronte...ad?source=files

Changes in beta 4:
- Uses new compiles of flac 1.3.0pre3 + a few git fixes by Case. Known bugs: not correctly displaying non-latin chars in filenames
- Installer shrunk from 1MB to 635kb
- .NET 4.0 and 4.5 are supported. The installer simply packs two executables, one for .NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 and one for .NET 4.0 and 4.5, and chooses which one should be installed. The .NET 4.0 version is preferred by the installer
- Fixes a few minor bugs

Bug reports are very welcome

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #43
Once more a new version, beta 5. Download here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/flacfronte...ad?source=files If you have an old beta installed with .msi, you don't have to remove it first, upgrading works.

Changes in beta 5
- Uses new compiles for flac 1.3.0pre3 + UTF-8 and line break patches by Case. Now non-latin characters should be supported fully, at least as much as your version of Windows has the right console fonts.
- Upgrading (from beta 3 or higher) was already possible, now downgrading (only to beta 4 now) is supported
- Fixes line breaks in COPYING.GPL.txt and README.txt fixed, should now be readable with Notepad.
- Now uses more explicit paths to make sure this won't happen
- Uses smaller console because wide consoles are no longer necessary because of Case's line break patch
- Added w64, raw and aiff to accepted input formats
- Several small fixes (see git)

Comments are welcome

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #44
I noticed that Ctrl+C or closing the encoding window with other means kills the entire frontend. I don't think that's good behavior.

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #45
Why not? Ctrl+C or closing the window are usually ways to close an application, aren't they?

The problem is that encoding window is not a showing a child process, it's the main thread now. That is necessary to circumvent the UTF-8 problems with batchfiles. AFAIK it's either using a batch-file (and having lot's of problem with getting that to work) or this behaviour.

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #46
The scenario where I noticed the problem was that I had multiple files in the queue and I was working on a huge file that needed a long time to finish. I wanted to skip it and encode the rest but the program closed entirely. I think any alternate behavior would be better, like spawn new flac.exe process and continue encoding the next file or just remain open with the queue and let user reclick appropriate buttons.

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #47
I think this will get a little tricky. Now the output it sent to the console of the FLAC Frontend process itself. As the console is tied to the GUI, closing the console will close the GUI, they are just two different ways of input/output for the same process.

To get around this, I'll have to spawn separate processes. The problem is the communication between the processes: when calling a new process, there's a limit to the number of characters you can pass (little over 32000) which is just not enough if I were to test my whole library with FLAC frontend, which I think is not an unlikely case. I really don't like those artificial limits in programs. Communicating things to a new process with files is even more ugly (and might introduce problems like I had with using a batchfile or pose problems if the users tries to start a second thread) and I don't know of another way to pass information to another process.

New FLAC frontend beta

Reply #49
That's just what I've come up with before I fell asleep last night, I'll try it soon. Thanks for the link!