Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Feature Suggesion] Current Playing / Selected Tracks Available as Titleformat (Read 767 times) previous topic - next topic

[Feature Suggesion] Current Playing / Selected Tracks Available as Titleformat

I'm a working open format dj and use foobar for a lot of organizational and preparational tasks. Having implemented my own structures on tagging I found ways to make these usable for various filters in Facet, yet I'd absolutely love to have filters that allow me to show alternative versions of the now selected or playing track (when preparing playlists).

Basic idea from my pov would be a chance to allow title formatting variables to be related to absolute tracks eg. now playing, currently selected... and use the existing methods to strip down the title tag from remix/version information or use my mood mashes (eg. #riser #bigroom #chill) to gain a filtered view on my library in a second Facets instance.

For example I have this track:
Artist: Artist;Artist2
Title: Title (XYZ Remix)
Album: #bigroom #riser #house #tech

and I could create filters that search for:

1) Artist Title;Artist2 Title
2) XYZ
3) #bigroom #riser #house #tech

automatically during playing back a track in foobar or having it selected, a suggestion tool that totally relies on what I tagged before.

As an idea on how they could be designed I'd suggest something like
%title.nowplaying%
or
$nowplaying(title) <- if thats even possible...

Re: [Feature Suggesion] Current Playing / Selected Tracks Available as Titleformat

Reply #1
If I understand you correctly about current playing alternative version of playing track I already have a method in place that does that but I don't think it's for everyone. You need Columns ui and library tree component (the older columns ui version, not the jscript version of the same name) although I guess perhaps with default ui and popup panels library tree could work too (untested).

First, a screenshot:

This show all versions in library of current playing track "Last Train to Transcentral" by The KLF. It doesn't show the artist or title just because I have limited width on that panel and only want necessary information to show.
For this to work you first need to strip down the title of the track to its 'absolute form', meaning stripping away stuff like "remix", "remasterd", "12 inch version", "DJ whoever mix", "live in wherever version"....basically anything that's not part of the actual title and relegate that information to a different tag which I call "Track Info". I also use an additional tag called "track type" which can either be acoustic, remix, demo or live.

The library tree has a filter field and when formatted like this
Code: [Select]
%artist%-%title% IS $nowplaying{%artist%-%title%}
It will show all titles which are the same (hence the purpose of splitting up track info from the actual title). You can set view format to whatever you like to be shown, %track info% and/or %rating% seems logical.

An extra step I devised that proved very helpful for me for identifying same track but which have slight different spellings is using masstagger and use "format value" with this formatting pattern:
$crc32($lower($ascii(%artist% $replace(%title%,$char(32),,$char(33),,$char(34),,$char(39),,$char(40),,$char(41),,$char(44),,$char(46),,$char(47),,$char(58),,$char(59),,$char(63),,$char(96),,$char(145),,$char(146),,$char(147),,$char(148),))))
Destination field name: FOO_ID

Basically what this does is formatting all artist-title to an integer and in the process remove all spaces, punctuation marks and other often occurring marks. This ensure for example tracks which are named the same but are not 100% identical (Example: KLF - What Time is Love? or KLF - What Time Is Love) will still be shown as the same in library tree.

If you then use as filter in library tree
%FOO_ID% IS $nowplaying{%FOO_ID%}
Then this will yield more trustworthy results without the track titles needing to be 100% identical.

Re: [Feature Suggesion] Current Playing / Selected Tracks Available as Titleformat

Reply #2
That sounds pretty close to my plan, yet I'm not willing to switch to columns ui as I simply love facets :) and that seems to be the only option when it comes to tags access from nowplaying-stuff.... Though I catched some nice ideas from your screenshot is that everything that you got there?

Reply #3
Just checked on the foo_popup panels component page it allows displaying colums ui panel in a popup window. The component can be used with default ui so essentially you don't really need to switch to colums ui.
I'm not sure what you mean with "is that everything you got"?