Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is it possible to convert FLAC to AAC? (Read 8241 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it possible to convert FLAC to AAC?

If so, is it advisable?

I figured since FLAC is lossless it should be okay to do so, but I am not sure.

If it is possible, can someone please suggest to me how I would go about doing so? Normally when converting to AAC I would just use iTunes, but I don't think you can do so in this case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply #3
Just have to choose the encoder and then the quality you want.
Than it's ready to go. :-)

Reply #4
Just have to choose the encoder and then the quality you want.
Than it's ready to go. :-)

What frequency bandwidth should I use (Hz)? It's set at 16000 by default. And what is AAC object type? (LOL) Does this allow you to encode in with VBR?

Reply #5
I'm not so sure about the encoder configuration with AAC. (normaly I use OGG)
Maybe you have a look in the Wiki. There are lot's of descriptions. Just google a bit.

Good luck!  ;-)

Reply #6
foobar2000 + Nero Digital. -q 0.4 to get somewhere near 128kbps, VBR. May need to add -lc so it only does LC-AAC encoding.

Reply #7
You can also try Omni Encoder with either the iTunes of Nero encoders. Pretty darn easy to use.

Reply #8
Is there a way to convert from FLAC to protected AAC files using any of the above methods? Don't get me wrong...I do not support DRM. The problem is, I am tired of people coming up to me and asking me "Can you give me a copy of those mp3s?". I don't like it when I spend a considerable amount of money on my music CDs while people just want them (sometimes EXPECT them  ) for free from me.

With protected AAC files, I can just blame Steve Jobs for not being able to fulfill their requests  .

Reply #9
Well then you DO support DRM..  :-)
And, No, you can't  create FairPlay protected files yourself.

My suggestion: Just be mean and say "no way Im giving you my mp3s!!!"

Gonza

Reply #10
Just rename them to .m4p and associate your MPEG-4 player with .m4p files.

Then, when someone comes - just say "look, these are all .m4p ones - you know, protected with DRM"

Reply #11
Or.. better yet:

"Transcode" all those FLAC files to cassette tapes. Then throw away your ipod, and go back to a walkman and cassettes.  Nobody is going to ask you for those !!!

And you will look so cool.

Gonza

Reply #12
What frequency bandwidth should I use (Hz)? It's set at 16000 by default. And what is AAC object type? (LOL) Does this allow you to encode in with VBR?

The free Nero commandline encoder is excellent and pretty simple - you don't need to worry about bandwidth and object types - just set the q parameter.  Here's the sticky on recommended settings.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=44310

And even though Jebus is plugging his own creation    , Omni Encoder is a great, easy-to-use GUI frontend.

foobar2000 + Nero Digital. -q 0.4 to get somewhere near 128kbps, VBR. May need to add -lc so it only does LC-AAC encoding.

I'm pretty sure that -q0.4 ~128kbps will always yield LC by default.  I couldn't find the discussion thread, but IIRC it was confirmed by one of the Nero devs that HE doesn't kick in until you go down to around 80 kbps (don't quote me on that exact number  , though I'm certain it's below 100 kbps)

Reply #13
Well then you DO support DRM..  :-)
And, No, you can't  create FairPlay protected files yourself.

My suggestion: Just be mean and say "no way Im giving you my mp3s!!!"

Gonza

Just rename them to .m4p and associate your MPEG-4 player with .m4p files.

Then, when someone comes - just say "look, these are all .m4p ones - you know, protected with DRM"

Or.. better yet:

"Transcode" all those FLAC files to cassette tapes. Then throw away your ipod, and go back to a walkman and cassettes.  Nobody is going to ask you for those !!!

Gonza

Yes! That is exactly what I will do!!! Guess what? I just realized that ever since I discovered digital music, I have enjoyed my music LESS. I am always worried about which song to play next rather than actually listening to the music. I remember those wonderful days of audio cassettes...pop one in and you listen to the whole album...one song at a time...

Reply #14
Or.. better yet:

Gonza

Haha, that's the best DRM related suggestion I ever read.