Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I delete ALBUM ARTIST, yet it returns in Properties as Various Artists (Read 2988 times) previous topic - next topic

I delete ALBUM ARTIST, yet it returns in Properties as Various Artists

Hello,

I am trying to remove 'Various Artists' from my library and when I delete the Album artist tag it removes it but as soon as I got back in to properties it's back like nothing happened with 'Various Artists' as a value again.

The folder is not write protected and have started with admin rights.

Reply #1
File type? If MP4, is the ITUNESCOMPILATION field present and set to 1?

Reply #2
Yeah, I sometimes encounter this issue.
In these pesky cases I open the folder in Explorer (right-click the track in your foobar2000 playlist viewer and "open containing folder"),
I then create a blank "New Playlist" in foobar2000, and drag all files (and CUE sheet if present) into the "New Playlist" and deal with it all,
also looking out for "rogue" tags as db1989 has pointed out.

Even after all that, I sometimes encounter stubborn files whose "Tags" refuse to be wiped.
In these cases, I decompress the FLAC file (for example) back to WAV, and then re-compress again to FLAC.
Goodbye "Tags".

Reply #3
Another possibility is that foobar's cacheing the old tags in its library. So the new tags have been successfully saved but it's still showing you the cached tags. If you hold down shift and click the Library menu, you'll see an otherwise hidden option to "Rescan folders", which will fix this (once it's done its job).

Reply #4
Another possibility is that foobar's cacheing the old tags in its library. So the new tags have been successfully saved but it's still showing you the cached tags. If you hold down shift and click the Library menu, you'll see an otherwise hidden option to "Rescan folders", which will fix this (once it's done its job).

That did the trick thanks, also there is a lot hidden ain't there.

Reply #5
If you don't want to "refresh"your whole library, you can "refresh" only your selection on the "Properties" page.
There is a button named "Tools", which gives you a menu item named "Reload info".

Reply #6
Thanks for this.  I was having the same problem and it was driving me mad!

*edit* Both solutions above did not work.  I had to remove all tags and retag completely.