Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Not my release] Biography view (Read 490890 times) previous topic - next topic

[Not my release] Biography view

Reply #300
I didn't update this plugin in a long time and I've just discovered that when I use the "Get Artist Info from last.fm" function, the information is now stored in %BIOGRAPHY%, indead in %BIO% like it used to be. As I have already tagged a large number of my files with the %BIO% tag, could you please make the tag name user-customizable?

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...uide#Copy_value

Reply #301
@ssenna: Did you consider my request, yet?

In paticular, it is often difficult to respond to feature request, because I can't promise to add it before considering details.)

I think your request sounds good, so I will add it(but I can't promise).

I know my request isn't much related to the biography component in general, but the function that uses last.fm API are similar, so I figured it would probably be easy to implement  I hope you will consider it.

I'll post my request publicly here. Maybe someone else could find it useful
I noticed that you implemented "Get Artist info from Last.fm" in tagging and wonder if you could make it get some track info as well?

I have a music collection of more than 45,000 tracks, which makes it quite hard to find interesting tracks when I build playlists for certain purposes. If I was able to get playcount from last.fm, it would be easier to find popular tracks.

You can get this info easily (even with your existing code, I assume) in last.fm API; "listeners" and "playcount" from track.getInfo

Another thing that's hard to manage on such big collection is genre and styles. Having the tags from last.fm in tags seems reasonable to me and they are easily obtainable from track.getTopTags - However as it's 2-dimensional, it may be difficult to make a proper direct implementation. I've been thinking it could be a good idea to let the user specify a threshold for when a tag should be added to a multivalue field or maybe you have an even better idea... If you could store all the tags along with their respective "count"-value that opens up for the possebility of creating a "last.fm Boffin"-like component/panel within foobar2000, which would be REALLY cool!
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #302
Hello everyone,
first of all, kudos to the author for this formidable plugin! Really have a lot fun with it.

I got one problem though: I cannot get the bio viewer to display more than the max count of 6 artist images it downloads automatically.
I specified my personal foobar folder path ..\foobar2000\lastfm\artist\%artist%\%artist% as the cache location, which shall save all artist images in dedicated artist subfolders.
Now I used the manual context command to get Artist Pictures, ended up with 100 fine pieces, but unfortunately they wont be displayed after I saved them within that artist subfolder, still only the first 6 are shown.

Does the plugin only search for the 6 first images? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: I'm using the version 0.4.2.0!

Reply #303
as far as 6 images is the maximum count in preferences, I guess it is not possible to show more, even if they are present in the folder...

Reply #304
that is very regrettable to hear, especially since us is given the possibility to download hundreds of pictures ourselves
Perhaps the author reads this and grants me that wish  *cough* 
Still a very lovable component though.

Reply #305
The component will create an empty biography file -- lfml though there is no information found. So, it's not need to create these files.

Reply #306
Can I add a feature request?
Add an option to change the thickness of the border art so it looks like a polaroid photo.
Thanks

Reply #307
Put biography view in panel stack splitter or use WSH if you are in DUI

BTW this just reminded me on something I read recently:
Can you please make a version of Soundtouch that, at intervals specified by you, randomly changes the tempo, pitch and rate? And also have an option to have the intervals randomly changed? It would make for a messed-up listening experience; sort of like a nightmare. I’d love something like that.

sorry, i will not code for that kind of personal preference.

Reply #308
A question - do the titleformat tags like %lastfm_similar_artist% only work when the biography panel is a part of a foobar setup? Because for some reason they dont work for me.

Reply #309
biography preferences > misc tab: provide titleformat fileds

Reply #310
Had it checked.Only when I put the biography panel up the tags started working.

Reply #311
Hi,

tick the option "Execute query even if no biography panel view exist" under the "Misc"-tab.

Reply #312
does anyone have problems with this freezing up foobar?
for the time being i've removed it from components folder because it freezes foobar for 5-6 seconds after the track changes
having removed the component, there is no lag/hang time

I'd definitely prefer to continue using this component though. any solutions?

---
nevermind. i think it was because i enabled the experimental option to provide artwork to other components.

Reply #313
hey there, wonderful addon...

1. would be wonderful if we could get another sever option: allmusic.com (album/artist/song even?) i also read that someone was looking for
a discography option.. the allmusic database would be able to supply this info if someone knew how to access it and bring it into foobar

thanks, keep up the good work. peace

Reply #314
also having trouble with getting album info from lastfm.. artist working fine.. but no album.
cheers

Reply #315
check the website to see if there is anything on the album page. as content is user generated, not all albums will have information.

Reply #316
Hi, My problem is, that the Plugin gets my CPU usage to 100% when it gets the biography info from last.fm. This problem only seems to occur when I get the information from last.fm. I have an AMD 6000+ dual core and use the newest version of foobar (1.03) and the newest one of the plugin (0.4.2.0).
Edit: Updated to 0.4.2.1 now it really works better. The CPU usage goes up sometimes but only to 80% or something. But i think it could be an issue when i play games while using foobar. I also can't use the "provide titleformat field option. When I use it the CPU usage goes to 100% for a few seconds.

Reply #317
Here is yet another variation on a theme - AMG review script for biography view

it requires python of course and can be downloaded from here: http://pastebin.com/apWLwwt7

example for script named bio_amg.py and placed in script subfolder relative to foobar folder:

Reply #318
wow that looks great 2E7AH, just last night i was lamenting the lack of good album write-ups fetched by the default setting.
i'm anxious to try it when i get off of work

does your script save the text someplace or does it fetch it anew for every track?

also, do you know of a similar script to fetch artist bios from AMG?

Reply #319
No problem, I'll post later tonight

does your script save the text someplace or does it fetch it anew for every track?

That's unfortunately true. I posted the same note for last.fm source year ago: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=647127 and the case was resolved for next release
So ssenna if you are reading this can you make info available without unnecessary script running when played tracks are from the same album/artist regarding which external script is being used: artist or album

Reply #320
script works great, but it's quite slow. would it be possible to cache the text as album.txt in the track folder? then when the script runs, first check for album.txt and display that, otherwise go online to get a new one?

i have no idea how this stuff works, so i'm sorry if this is difficult or impossible. just an idea

either way, thank you for sharing this

Reply #321
Here is python script for AMG biography: http://pastebin.com/vSnRTTAC name to liking and call just like previous script (with %album% too) only now in Artist tab

About the speed - it's working reasonably here. AMG biography script retrieves three x ~50K html data and processes it quickly. AMG Review retrieves 2 html data files and + one if review is huge, however I made some changes to previous script and now it retrieves 2 pages in any case; here it is: http://pastebin.com/YMhzXwh9 and it's basically the same as previous.

Caching, TF, etc seems available only for last.fm and I can't change that nor I will trash your folders with data files. Scripts are there and can be used and changed by anyone to liking

Reply #322
wonderful scripts 2E7AH, thanks again for sharing!

Reply #323
So ssenna if you are reading this can you make info available without unnecessary script running when played tracks are from the same album/artist regarding which external script is being used: artist or album

Thanks ssenna for quick resolver 
scripts aren't executed withing same album, thou artist scripts are executed on album change even if artist is same