Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Latest MPEG-4 Audio Lossless Coding (ALS) (Read 28296 times) previous topic - next topic

Latest MPEG-4 Audio Lossless Coding (ALS)

Reply #25
Thanks for explaining, that encouraged me because it's one switch less to consider!

I was attempting the "platina" album beyond -a -b -o50 today. This one is 7.7x / 11.1x / 64.80%.
Replacing -o50 with -o100: 6.1x / 10.8x / 64.74%
Replacing -o50 with -o200: 5.2x / 10.0x / 64.71%
Adding -p: 2.4x / 10.3x / 64.71%
Adding -g1: 4.1x / 11.8x / 64.70%
Adding -g2: 2.6x / 11.8x / 64.61%
Adding -t2: 2.7x / 11.2x / 64.55%
Adding both -g2 and -t2, compression went well below 1x speed so I terminated it. Apparently these two switches "don't like each other"?

I know you've lost interest in ALS and removed your ALS version, but do you recall what was buggy about the winamp plugin/playback? So far all files play fine here, though I use 1by1 instead of winamp player.

Reply #26
Doesn't support mp4, doesn't support files encoded with -z options, and that's from looking 2 seconds.

Reply #27
Maybe Liebchen simply based the Winamp plugin on LPAC's existing one, and forgot about these things. It would be nice if he showed up here to clarify things, most lossless developers did by now!

In the comparison, -a -b -o50 with -g1 and -t2 were added, I think I'll leave it like that for now.

Reply #28
The editing period for the document specifying storage in MP4 is over.  Has anybody heard any news?  Nothing new on this site yet, though (as of Sep 22 11:45PM GMT)

Reply #29
I suspect HA regulars are no doubt on top of this already; but RM18 has been available for a day or so.  Seems to work fine.

I posted some small samples at Doom9.  In fact the post with all the details can be found here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=8807...mp;postcount=38

I have become completely disinterested in this format now that it is clear they will not properly support the MP4 container but instead prefer to promote spreading of raw ALS files, which undoubtely will lead to a mess such as ALS+ID3V2 or ALS+APE2 or whatever, completely voiding any purpose of existance this format ever might have had.

I would strongly suggest everyone to stay away from ALS and instead use a format such as Wavpack of FLAC.

So, out of interest Garf; now the ALS reference has MP4 output, does this change your opinon at all?  No doubt things change in time, so maybe you have completely forgotten about ALS; but I was curious.