Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Oh, this wasn't open source? (Read 5895 times) previous topic - next topic

Oh, this wasn't open source?

Before I'm gonna irritate someone, I'll have to say thanks for a great player - wich I have been happily using for a few months now. I'm partial linux user, and it came to me that it would be nice to have this ported..so I looked for sources, but I could'nt find them. ( I don't really think that I really have time and dedication to do that, but for a interest. GUI at least seems to simple to port at least . )

So am I blind or is there not sources available? I really thought this was GPL'ed. Is it not, and why in earth? At least it uses at least few Libraries which are, right? You're not gonna make any profit with this anyway?

Well, all said for now
-wilho

Reply #1
No, it's not GPLed.  Nor does it use any GPLed libraries.  It uses mpglib, which released under the LGPL.  Foobar may use other LGPLed libraries as well.  I'm not sure.

Peter has released a huge amount of non-core code, but releasing the core would encourage people to make hacks on the core to add functionality which could be added through plugins.  It would also encourage splits in the project, which is a rather common occurence in the Open Source world.  (OpenBSD, anyone?)

Reply #2
Peter has released a huge amount of non-core code, but releasing the core would encourage people to make hacks on the core to add functionality which could be added through plugins.  It would also encourage splits in the project, which is a rather common occurence in the Open Source world.  (OpenBSD, anyone?)

You might have a point, but using OpenBSD is probably the worst example you could have picked.  The forking of OpenBSD from NetBSD has spurred more development and progress than prior to the split (and I run NetBSD exclusively, so I can't be accused of having an OpenBSD bias).  There is frequent code sharing between all of the variations of BSD, and all 3 are stronger because of the forking, not despite it.

Anyway, to get back on topic...I haven't tried it, but I understand that Foobar runs fairly well under WINE on Linux, so the original poster might want to give that a shot.

Reply #3
Well, Peter never actually said anything about not releasing the code because it might get split off into other projects.  That's just me.

And I don't actually thing FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD are all better off as a result of the splits, but whatever.  I definitely don't care enough to argue the point.

Reply #4
Since the fb2k API is open, anyone with enough dedication might go and implement his/her own core. Well behaving plugins should work with any correct core implementation. Porting to Linux or *BSD or whatever would require changes to the API and pfc, because of Win32 functions/types and feature specific to the MS compiler are used there.

Reply #5
Since the fb2k API is open, anyone with enough dedication might go and implement his/her own core. Well behaving plugins should work with any correct core implementation. Porting to Linux or *BSD or whatever would require changes to the API and pfc, because of Win32 functions/types and feature specific to the MS compiler are used there.

While someone is reinventing fb2k they should do it in Java! then we could run it on our java enable watches and key fobs... 

Reply #6
While someone is reinventing fb2k they should do it in Java! then we could run it on our java enable watches and key fobs...  

Well then in Java it would be slow, ugly and big - hmm, just the opposite to C++ now