Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ultimate Conversion FLAC (Read 6183 times) previous topic - next topic

Ultimate Conversion FLAC

Hey all

Here is my dilemma. I have thousands of different flac files...all 1.1.2, 1.1.3 and some 1.1.4. They are all properly organized (artist/album) and tagged. However, some tags have ID3 in them which I didn't detect, others are just straight up flac vorbis tags.

Now I need some help. How can I just simply convert everything to latest 1.1.4 while keeping everything in tact and DELETING the uneeded ID3 tags.

A program for this?

Ultimate Conversion FLAC

Reply #2
I haven't tested this myself since I don't want to mess around with my FLAC files, but MP3tag should be able to get rid of the ID3 metadata. Cut all tags outta the FLACs and paste them afterwards, the tagger shouldn't write the ID3 ones again, but only Vorbis comments instead. I'd recommend testing this using some copies of the originals before you begin fixing the entire collection, since MP3tag might cause some troubles at correctly cutting the uncommon ID3 tags.

If this should work out as intended, the next step would be to use Synthetic Soul's batch file to convert the entire collection to FLAC 1.1.4. Again, prior to conversion it's always wise to test the batch process with one or two backups to make sure nothing gets screwed during the version updates.

Ultimate Conversion FLAC

Reply #3
foobar2000 can do the conversion and tag correction in one step

Ultimate Conversion FLAC

Reply #4
Doing exactly that using OmniEncoder.  It has the ability to write the output to the source directory, without stepping all over itself.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Ultimate Conversion FLAC

Reply #5
I haven't tested this myself since I don't want to mess around with my FLAC files, but MP3tag should be able to get rid of the ID3 metadata. Cut all tags outta the FLACs and paste them afterwards, the tagger shouldn't write the ID3 ones again, but only Vorbis comments instead. I'd recommend testing this using some copies of the originals before you begin fixing the entire collection, since MP3tag might cause some troubles at correctly cutting the uncommon ID3 tags.

If this should work out as intended, the next step would be to use Synthetic Soul's batch file to convert the entire collection to FLAC 1.1.4. Again, prior to conversion it's always wise to test the batch process with one or two backups to make sure nothing gets screwed during the version updates.

can you explain this method more in depth? I use mp3 tag all the time. The bad tags are the ones that appear under the tag column as "FLAC (FLAC ID3v2)" The good ones are "FLAC (FLAC)"

Under the options it gives you what it reads and writes...but nothing about vorbis comments or anything ;(

Should I uncheck all ID3 stuff?

Edit ----

Just thought of this. Is it possible to add to the flac encoder the ability to delete all other tags except official FLAC vorbis? Wouldn't this be priceless?

I think my topic would help you with that
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=52757

I had the same issue, well except with the tags.

To delete the tags I know foobar can.
Just load all flac into foobar and delete the tags.

thanks

Doing exactly that using OmniEncoder.  It has the ability to write the output to the source directory, without stepping all over itself.

Does Omni convert the tags as well?

For now, unless omni does this, I'll mp3 tag my whole collection delete all ID3, then do the batch conversion.

Edit---

Just thought of this.

Why doesn't the FLAC encoder when enconding straight up remove ALL other tags except official flac vorbis tags?

and on an ENTIRELY different note ----

When should I do replay gain? How is that added...as a tag?

Should I do Replaygain before or after this big encode?

Ultimate Conversion FLAC

Reply #6
can you explain this method more in depth?

Of course. Via the right-click menu MP3tag offers the option to cut the tags and save them to the clipboard. But it only cuts those which are allowed being removed, hence you have to make sure both its "MPEG"- and "Ape, Mpc..."-settings, found under "Tags" in the MP3tag options, are correct. "Both" because in FLAC's case it's not quite sure which settings are actually used for editing ID3v2, though "Ape, Mpc..." makes more sense in my eyes.

Under "Remove" ID3v2 has to be checked, while under "Write" ID3v2 shouldn't be selected to prevent MP3tag from inserting the ID3 tags again. Note that these settings are the "MPEG" ones, the "Ape, Mpc..."  column doesn't offer ID3v2 writing anyway. Vorbis comments are always removed and written using Cut & Paste, so far I haven't found any setting that prevents them from being processed. By the way, the options  mentioned here might slightly differ in your case since I'm using the German version of the tagger.

Besides, if for any reason a few files contained nothing but ID3v2 tags, then MP3tag should convert them to Vorbis comments as soon as they're pasted. At least it does so with other tag types, for instance I converted my formerly APE-tagged MP3 collection to ID3v2.3 this way without experiencing any troubles.

When should I do replay gain? How is that added...as a tag?

Should I do Replaygain before or after this big encode?

I'd recommend doing the scan after all tag-related issues will have been resolved. As you guessed, the ReplayGain informations are added to the FLAC files' Vorbis comments, but due to FLAC transferring all tags during the version updates it doesn't matter whether you scan the files before or after the process.

Ultimate Conversion FLAC

Reply #7

can you explain this method more in depth?

Of course. Via the right-click menu MP3tag offers the option to cut the tags and save them to the clipboard. But it only cuts those which are allowed being removed, hence you have to make sure both its "MPEG"- and "Ape, Mpc..."-settings, found under "Tags" in the MP3tag options, are correct. "Both" because in FLAC's case it's not quite sure which settings are actually used for editing ID3v2, though "Ape, Mpc..." makes more sense in my eyes.

Under "Remove" ID3v2 has to be checked, while under "Write" ID3v2 shouldn't be selected to prevent MP3tag from inserting the ID3 tags again. Note that these settings are the "MPEG" ones, the "Ape, Mpc..."  column doesn't offer ID3v2 writing anyway. Vorbis comments are always removed and written using Cut & Paste, so far I haven't found any setting that prevents them from being processed. By the way, the options  mentioned here might slightly differ in your case since I'm using the German version of the tagger.

Besides, if for any reason a few files contained nothing but ID3v2 tags, then MP3tag should convert them to Vorbis comments as soon as they're pasted. At least it does so with other tag types, for instance I converted my formerly APE-tagged MP3 collection to ID3v2.3 this way without experiencing any troubles.

peerfect...thanks  odd options with cutting and pasting (should just be like a button or something) this make sense and works!!

I'd recommend doing the scan after all tag-related issues will have been resolved. As you guessed, the ReplayGain informations are added to the FLAC files' Vorbis comments, but due to FLAC transferring all tags during the version updates it doesn't matter whether you scan the files before or after the process.

ok great I'll do this after 1.1.2 1.1.3 conversion  which I'll prob be back for help lol

Omni encoder looks great...but will have to wait, still in its infancy, requires .net and tagging isn't as advanced as mp3tag

thanks

Ultimate Conversion FLAC

Reply #8
OK...I did it with omni encoder...replay gain and tags and everything

now..how do I tell RG worked? i don't think it did...some tracks are sort of louder than others...

Ultimate Conversion FLAC

Reply #9
Foobar: Right-click -> Properties (Properties tab) will show any ReplayGain info that's been written to the file.

If you're comparing by listening, make sure your player is applying it at  track level (not album).

Ultimate Conversion FLAC

Reply #10
now..how do I tell RG worked? i don't think it did...some tracks are sort of louder than others...

That's the purpose of album gain. It preserves the original dynamics between songs of the same album, i.e. only the volume of the loudest track is set to 89 dB, afterwards the others' loudness is adjusted in due proportion to this one. The intention of this procedere is the fact that certain tracks shouldn't be as loud as others, just imagine an originally silent flute solo being boosted by track gain to sound as loud as the whole orchestra playing at once. Album gain is also the only serious way to go for live recordings and concept albums, since usually their tracks gaplessly merge into each other. Now imagine track gain having destroyed the original dynamics between them - at the moment one track merged into the other the volume would suddenly change, which would seriously affect the live feeling while listening.

If you didn't like this behaviour for any reason, simply set your audio player only to care for the track gain tags instead of the album gain ones. During album-scan track values are generated too. In both Winamp and foobar you'll find this option in the "Playback" settings.

Besides, since you like using MP3tag, it can tell you whether the whole job worked as well. Right-click a file and choose "Advanced Tags" (or maybe "Extended Tags"), then in the pop-up window there should be some Vorbis Comments called REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN, REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK, REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN and REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK. If these are there, everything's fine. Winamp also displays the ReplayGain values in the file infos (Alt+3).

Ultimate Conversion FLAC

Reply #11
Ahhh I see..it was applied. Now right now I'm using foobar, so to make it use RG do I need a plugin?

Eventually I will be using WMP with a directshow codec...how will I make RG compatable with that?
as always thanks for the valuable info guys