Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I don't want to live on this planet anymore... (Read 22394 times) previous topic - next topic

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

Procede with caution!

I'll be over in the corner, gently banging my head against the wall...

A small sample of the terrors behind the link.

What’s the difference between analogue and digital masters?

The quality of any digital recording, regardless of resolution levels, can never match that of analogue due to the simple fact that music, or sound, is not digital! In recording music digitally, you’re basically sampling a highly complex collection of sound-waves and approximating them into a series of ones and zeros. In doing so, by definition you’re losing a great deal of information right from the start. In contrast, a good quality analogue recording is actually capturing the complete waveforms, so you’re getting the full information.

The stupid... it burns so...

Re: I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

Reply #1
"Procede?"  Is that like giving up on an argument before you start?

Reply #2
Wow. Just ... wow.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Reply #3
Sounds like analog fanboy isn't considering lossless format.

Reply #4
Someone should tell those idiots that recording stuff is basically recording the height of wave onto a medium (analog or digital) that has finite resolution and bandwidth.  There's no such thing as anything having infinite resolution and bandwidth.

Reply #5
Out of curiosity, out of all the mind-boggling stupidity to be found on audiophile sites, what is it about this particular link that put you over the edge?

Reply #6
I suspect it's the endless, stupid repetition of this same, stupid, dishonest meme by people who should know better. I am entirely sympathetic for the OP's sense of things.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Reply #7
I like how they "insert" the "fact" that you supposedly have to be an expert to operate/mantain tape deck.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #8
Audiophiles should read Nyquist-Shannon theorem.

Reply #9
Reading it and understanding it are 2 different things.

Reply #10
Understanding it and believing it are also two different things, as are believing it and admitting it.

Reply #11
The both sound better recorded in Dubly

Reply #12
But only if you like Irish music...
Cheers,
Alan

Reply #13
I suspect it's the endless, stupid repetition of this same, stupid, dishonest meme by people who should know better. I am entirely sympathetic for the OP's sense of things.

I am very, very much in sympathy with the OP as well, but when I can go to the "Recommended Components" list of a major audio magazine and read that, for example:

a particular interconnect "produced a larger, more present overall sound, with deeper silences, longer decays, cleaner highs, more realistic bass, and richer tone color,"

with a particular wall wart in use "recordings with open, ambient soundstages sounded cleaner, and both instrumental and vocal music was more distinct,"

LPs on which a foil strip is placed "sounded slightly stronger and more colorful,"

or a power chord "delivered more music, made more sense of the music, managed to more fully convey the artists' intentions,"

all from people who should certainly know better, I personally am simply unable to decide which particular disconnection from reality warrants individual comment. Perhaps it was just the proverbial "last straw" that led to the (fully justifiable) outburst in the OP?

Reply #14
What problems do audiophiles hear in digital audio that I do not?

Digital lossless sounds absolutely amazing to me unless the recording quality is particularly bad.
FLAC -> JDS Labs ODAC/O2 -> Sennheiser HD 650 (equalized)

Reply #15
What problems do audiophiles hear in digital audio that I do not?

They are not hearing anything that you do not hear. It is a perceptual bias that because the "music" has been divided into discrete samples, it must sound worst. Therefore, in their mind, it does. The bias, and perceived problems, disappear when the listening test is properly controlled. It is best to just ignore the claims of those who claim to hear a difference but refuse to perform blind tests or, even more laughably, claim that blind tests are inherently invalid. (Although this thread shows that sometimes even the most disciplined amongst us are so overwhelmed by the nonsense that it is impossible not to comment. :) )

(OK, from browsing your other posts you already knew this!)

Reply #16
Someone should tell those idiots that recording stuff is basically recording the height of wave onto a medium (analog or digital) that has finite resolution and bandwidth.  There's no such thing as anything having infinite resolution and bandwidth.
What do you mean finite resolution? My records are all built from analog vinyl atoms!

Reply #19
The most frustrating part is that if audiophiles understood why it is that they actually enjoy analog (mainly the saturation, eq, compression, pitch variations etc) we'd actually have warmer, nicer sounding music in general.

Instead they obsess over the idea that analog is more accurate, which just makes everything a mess.

Reply #20
... What do you mean finite resolution? My records are all built from analog vinyl atoms!
The finite size of those atoms sets the limit, and it isn't as low as you think:

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/iandm/part12/page2.html
He's jerkin' your chain. You're talking to the developer of Speex, one of the two projects that merged to produce Opus.

Reply #21
Not sure this article means anything...ever since it was proven that 128 kbps = CD quality nobody should care about so-called "warmth."

Reply #22
Oh, except for all those pesky sounds that can't be compressed transparently that can and do occur in music which can be heard by attentive listeners; regardless of the encoder used.

C'mon, proven?!?  Are you intentionally trying to feed the false stereotype that gives this community a bad name?  If not then take a moment and consider whether it is true that it has been proven that there is no teapot in orbit around the planet Neptune.

Reply #23
Oh, except for all those pesky sounds that can't be compressed transparently that can and do occur in music which can be heard by attentive listeners; regardless of the encoder used.

C'mon, proven?!?  Are you intentionally trying to feed the false stereotype that gives this community a bad name?  If not then take a moment and consider whether it is true that it has been proven that there is no teapot in orbit around the planet Neptune.

It was just tongue and cheek....just like some of the other posts...and also that there are tons who will think that 128 is enough...I don't, but if people believe that 128 is enough then people will believe anything.

Reply #24
I believe that 128 is enough for most audio, but I definitely don't believe just anything. In particular, I don't believe people's claims of what they can hear. ;-)