Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_talktome (Read 43859 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_talktome

Reply #25
Awesome!  Thanks a lot aganders3, I've been looking for something exactly like this for the longest time, and for the exact same reason as you.

Unfortunately though, it doesn't seem to work in Foobar 0.9.6.7

Failed to load DLL: foo_talktome.dll

Reason: the specified procedure could not be found

(OS: Vista)

foo_talktome

Reply #26

According to the foobar2000 SDK page, all components compiled with the 2010-01-09 SDK release or newer (I am using the 2010-05-21 release) require at leas foobar2000t v1.0. I'm sorry, but the only solution I can suggest at this time is to upgrade your version of foobar2000. I will poke around a bit, but I'm not sure there is a way around this.

foo_talktome

Reply #27

According to the foobar2000 SDK page, all components compiled with the 2010-01-09 SDK release or newer (I am using the 2010-05-21 release) require at leas foobar2000t v1.0. I'm sorry, but the only solution I can suggest at this time is to upgrade your version of foobar2000. I will poke around a bit, but I'm not sure there is a way around this.

Ah no problem Aganders, thanks for looking.  The reason I stick with 0.9.6.7 is because I have finally found versions of all my favorite components that work perfectly with each other, along with a heavily customized Foobar skin.  To upgrade to a different version would mean starting all over again, it can be a real challenge sometimes with Foobar.

foo_talktome

Reply #28
This makes me want to implement another setting to boost/drop the voice a bit, so something like that will probably be in the next release  I'll play around with it a little to see what method seems to work best for that.

Yes please.

I for one would like more control over the TTS voice volume (though it's pretty good already). But sometimes I want it to be loud (when listening is a background activity) and other times quite quiet (when listening is the only activity).

Control over the TTS volume would make foo_talktome absolutely perfect IMO.

FYI (if it's useful) my fb2k's vol is set to 100%.

Cheers,

C.

ps. Interesting what Andreasvb said re. routing of the TTS voice. My experience was the opposite in that even though my TTS voice is configured to use my soundcard's "M-Audio Delta AP multi" device, fb2k is configured to use "Delta AP 1/2". However changing the Windows settings (i.e. the volume of "M-Audio Delta AP multi") had no effect on the TTS voice in fb2k (or at least I thought it didn't) precisely because (I assumed) the TTS in foo_talktome is routed through the same output device as fb2k ("Delta AP 1/2"). However, what Andreasvb has said seems to contradict my assumption. Can or does, the TTS voice in foo_talktome use a different output device from fb2k?
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

foo_talktome

Reply #29
You can set the output for TTS in the SAPI control panel (sapi.cpl).

I can choose same as foobar2000, but then every other program that uses TTS will be loud as ****.

Best would be a volume slider with a boost option, if possible.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

foo_talktome

Reply #30
You can set the output for TTS in the SAPI control panel (sapi.cpl).

Sure, that's where I set to use "my soundcard's "M-Audio Delta AP multi" device", because I was trying to get it to use a different device, and thus volume, from fb2k's but like I said:

However changing the Windows settings (i.e. the volume of "M-Audio Delta AP multi") had no effect on the TTS voice in fb2k (or at least I thought it didn't) precisely because (I assumed) the TTS in foo_talktome is routed through the same output device as fb2k ("Delta AP 1/2").

Not quite sure why that is, but I agree with your conclusion, so hey.

C.

foo_talktome

Reply #31
I'll explore ways to change things, and come up with some (hopefully) reasonably simple preferences that give everyone some more control and freedom. I'm thinking of a volume slider (linear, 0-100) and a checkbox that turns on/off automatic volume scaling with the foobar volume. The only problem I see with this is that the volume slider will have to be in the preferences pane, which is not (to me) ideal. Maybe there is a way to make another one you can drop into the main UI, but that will take me longer to figure out.

From what I understand, the TTS engine synthesizes a wav that then gets played through the output you set in the SAPI control panel. The volume that I can set through calls to SAPI changes the volume of this synthesized TTS WAV, but not the actual output volume. Unfortunately this gives only limited control. I'm not sure the full chain of attenuation/volume controls the audio goes through, but I will read and play around to try to figure that out over the next week or so.

foo_talktome

Reply #32
You could go the WaveGain interface way:

Extra Gain +/- dB

C.

foo_talktome

Reply #33
aganders3,
Could you provide include/exclude feature?

e.g. Talktome would announce only if %path% contains "English".

It sounds funny in foreign language words.

foo_talktome

Reply #34
Could you provide include/exclude feature?

I'll look into this. There may be some way to just do it using the title formatting syntax, though. If so, i think that's a better solution because it means not re-inventing the wheel.

foo_talktome

Reply #35
Bump for a new release!

Download foo_talktome.dll v0.6

Features:
* Now includes a volume-offset field in the preferences pane. You can use a negative or a positive offset, input in dB.

Hopefully this is helpful for some people.

NOTE: For those of you that keep Foobar set at 0.0dB attenuation (max volume) this will only help you make the TTS voice quieter. At this point I can only control the volume of the synthesized voice. If you want the voice louder relative to the music, try boosting your system volume, lowering your Foobar volume, and adding a positive volume offset in the TalkToMe preferences.

foo_talktome

Reply #37
It's very quiet for me when it's set to 100.

The problem I have is that I can only (programatically) set the TTS volume to 0-100 on a linear scale. If you put 100 in the volume offset (and/or set the Foobar volume slider to the maximum) the voice volume should basically always be "maxed out" as far my access to it goes.

I'll keep digging and see if I can figure out the full audio processing chain for the TTS, though, and if there is anything else I can do.  Your other post should be helpful, and I will send you a PM if I have any more questions.

Edit: Can you add another virtual cable just for the TTS voice, and select it in the Speech control panel?

foo_talktome

Reply #38
Oh, I might've spoke too soon.

Seems I've to restart foobar2000 for the volume offset to activate.
Actually, works to choose another output then change back to previous output.

But would be good to maybe boost max volume a bit, if possible.

The scaling of the volume is a nice touch!

foo_talktome

Reply #39
Seems I've to restart foobar2000 for the volume offset to activate.
Actually, works to choose another output then change back to previous output.

I just noticed this bug too, actually. It should also work if you change the (Foobar) volume or enable/disable TalkToMe, because this will call the "change/set volume" code. In the next release this code will be called automatically when you change the volume offset as well.

As far as I can tell at this point, I'm unable to increase the maximum volume.  I'll keep working on it, though!

foo_talktome

Reply #40
Thanks aganders3! 
Works for me. And I'm sorry to say, I can't think of any more improvements.

Great work, much appreciated!

C.

foo_talktome

Reply #41
Hi aganders3

Possible BUG:

Playback stops when foo_talktome hits a song with a different sample rate.
i.e. plays fine with 41,100 Hz tracks, then playback stops when the next track is 48,000 Hz.
This doesn't happen when foo_talktome is unticked.

Soundcard = M-Audio Audiophile 2496
OS = WinXP SP2

Let me know if you want more details.

Cheers,

C.

foo_talktome

Reply #42
Playback stops when foo_talktome hits a song with a different sample rate.
i.e. plays fine with 41,100 Hz tracks, then playback stops when the next track is 48,000 Hz.
This doesn't happen when foo_talktome is unticked.

Thanks, I was on vacation for a while without a computer, but I am looking into this. Hopefully it's not too big of an issue for the time being!

foo_talktome

Reply #43
Hello,

I was excited to try this excellent component, but I can't seem to get it to "speak".

Tried it on win xp pro sp2 laptop and win7-64 desktop, both have foobar v1.1, both using the windows tts engine.  I used the default component preferences, tried increasing (and decreasing) the speech volume offset, foobar volume and system volume, also tried selecting a different output device (foobar and TTS).  Previewing the TTS voice in the control panel dialog works fine.  I also tried "Pause playback when speaking" and foobar didn't seem to hesitate at all when playing a new track, almost like the component wasn't "on".  I saw some reference in earlier posts about saving state... the only UI elements that I see in the preferences dialog are the Speech Formatting string text box, the Pause playback when speaking checkbox and the Speech Volume Offset (dB) spinner, i.e. no way that I can see to turn it on/off.

Anyone have any thoughts?

foo_talktome

Reply #44
Is it ticked under:
Playback > TalkToMe

C.

foo_talktome

Reply #45
Ack!  Thanks!

That's what I get for not reading closely enough. 

foo_talktome

Reply #46
Amazing plugin    BUT it is too quiet, It can't overcome the music (with setting to 100 dB offset)
So I must use Pause Playback..., And voice is connected to master foobar volume slider which isn't good.

foo_talktome

Reply #48
Talk to me plugin forum:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....=81657&st=0

I have neospeech voice installed, but it won't show up under Win. 7 Text to Speech voice selection.

You mods do great job here 

If you're using x64 then read my post here, which is #2 in this thread.
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=710073

foo_talktome

Reply #49
Thank you for making a TTS component for new foobar2000.

I used the old version before, until it stopped working in newer versions.

However, I found a way to get it announce the song, not optimal, but works.
It requires a bit tinkering.

This is what I used:

Cepstral: TTS program.
AMIP: For executing a command using swift.exe (comes with Cepstral).

Preset in AMIP:
/exec:(swift.exe)  -p  "%2 . by , %1"

I tried your component, it's working perfectly!

Even got another voice working, NeoSpeech Julie. It sounds really life-like.
If anyone want to use additional voices on 64 bit(unless they already are), just change it from the 32 bit SAPI settings.
C:\Windows\sysWOW64\speech\SpeechUX\SAPI.cpl

Thanks again.

Thanks for the information. I am using Neospeech Misaki under Win 7 64bit and having Rundll32 error while trying to set it in SAPI.cpl. Anything that can solve this?