Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: embed live captions/transcription as part of mp3 file? (Read 4310 times) previous topic - next topic

embed live captions/transcription as part of mp3 file?

Dream:
Play an audio file and see the text that goes with displayed as the audio is played in real-time.

The text captions/transcript would be prepared in advance of course. I'm curious how I could merge this information to play alright in any mp3 player that doesn't support this with extra perks if the player does support this feature (even a custom made player).

Am I right that I need to look more into ID3v2 as a starting point? Do I need to think about creating a separate file or keeping this separate (and if so is there a standard format to start from)? Is it possible to merge something like this into an mp3 file or is this dream just silly?

Thanks for taking a look!

EDIT:
After digging more, I'm finding patent information on this or a similar concept (really?):
http://www.google.com/patents/WO2000041175A1?cl=en

That brings up the question: Should I even try...

embed live captions/transcription as part of mp3 file?

Reply #1
There is an ID3 tag named SYLT for "synchronized lyrics".  You need to find an MP3 player (or plug-in ) that supports it.

There is a lyric plug-in for foobar2000.  (I have not tried it.)

I believe MiniLyrics ($10 - $25 USD) can create the ID3 tags and it works with most software players.  It has an editor for adding text/lyrics and time stamps, or you can create an LRC file with Notepad, and then MiniLyrics can take the information from the LRC file and add the time-stamped text to your MP3 file.

I use MiniLyrics with Winamp, but I have separate LRC files, instead of embedded lyrics.    MiniLyrics works with most media player software.  (I paid for MiniLyrics because they have a database with lyrics for about half my song library.  Since you apparently don't want the lyrics database, you can probably find a free solution.)