Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 2 CD's f**king with my drive (Read 5483 times) previous topic - next topic

2 CD's f**king with my drive

So, I recently go 3 CD's - Pure Reason Revolution's "The Dark Third" (European version - discogs link), Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" (european version - discogs link and Clint Mansell's "The Fountain" (soundtrack - discogs link.
Now, I've never had trouble burning cd's before, and I didn't have any trouble burning the first release. But with the last two, I simply can't burn them. When I use EAC, it freezes:

and my drive freezes as well. I have to put the pin in the little reset (not sure of it's proper name) hole to force the drive open - which can't be good for it. Once I get the CD out and close the drive, it makes a horrid noise for a good few minutes, before stopping. To open the drive again (without forcing it open), I have to restart my computer.
When I use iTunes (which I hate), it also gets stuck on zero percent. Although iTunes and the drive don't freeze.

I checked with the first CD again to see if anything had happened with my drive, but it was fine.... I have burned hundreds of CD's before, so what could the issue be?
My knowledge of drives is minimal, so I don't really know how to give you specs... It is a new computer (Asus drive), and I live in New Zealand (in case their is a zoning feature on cd's/drives - but I should be fine as I have a reasonably global taste, and never had an issue with foreign cd's before... and these are CD's from popular musicians)....

Thanks in advance for any help..

Reply #1
You don't mean burn, you mean rip.

Reply #2
this is correct

Reply #3
Go to your friend's computer if you don't have any additional drives, and try to rip it there - if he has different drive, that is.
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Reply #5
Go to your friend's computer if you don't have any additional drives, and try to rip it there - if he has different drive, that is.

I got out my old laptop, dusted it off and tried it. It's working.

But i'm still curious as to why it wouldn't work on my PC, when I've never had issues before... :/

Reply #6
Maybe look for an updated firmware for your drive.

RPC1 is a good place to find them.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #7
I would also guess for a a firmware issue. There might of course be different pressings with certain issues, but my copies of The Dark Third and In Absentia showed no traces of having copy protection, they ripped very quickly (using dBpoweramp, though) with AR verification -- there was a data file on In Absentia though. They are probably the European releases (TDT released on Inside Out with the bonus CD, unlike the US and original UK release).

Reply #8
I had similar problems a while back and was able to solve them by uninstalling EAC, purging the Windows registry of all EAC related entries, and reinstalling EAC.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #9
I would also guess for a a firmware issue. There might of course be different pressings with certain issues, but my copies of The Dark Third and In Absentia showed no traces of having copy protection, they ripped very quickly (using dBpoweramp, though) with AR verification -- there was a data file on In Absentia though. They are probably the European releases (TDT released on Inside Out with the bonus CD, unlike the US and original UK release).
Ya, both were the european releases.  I will try updating the firmware and then Kohlrabi idea.

Thanks guys.

Reply #10
It might not be the same problem, but EAC freezes and my computer stops responding forcing me to restart Windows with certains CDs as well. It only happened to me after I had already ripped 100+ discs over the course of several months, yet when it started happening I got something like 3 discs causing problems in the same week, which lead me to believe some obscure OS configuration had been recently changed and that made EAC start misbehaving.

I apparently solved it by  installing Nero's ASPI layer (I'd been using SPTI until then) and no more problems of the sort ever occurred but, like I said, take all of this with a grain of salt since I am not certain what my problem was, nor if it was the same as yours.

Reply #11
Wasn't there an option in EAC to lock the tray while ripping?

Yeah that option should be disabled when ripping discs that will lock up the whole PC.

I've got about three CDs that will lockup when using my Sony Optiarc drive, the solution is to rip with a different drive. Some drives just don't like some discs!