Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Questions bout Matroska and aac (Read 4283 times) previous topic - next topic

Questions bout Matroska and aac

Hi

Im fairly new when it comes to using matroska. so i have a few questions.

1: Is it possible to insert aac audio into the mkv container without having audio delay issues. I tried doing this with avi mux gui but whenever i played the file back in media player classic the audio was very much out of sync. I think i tried it with mkvmux too and had the same results.

2: This is slightly off the topic but, when using vorbis (cause i can't get acc working) what bitrate do u think is sufficient. I used -q 1 for my last film and it seemed sufficient enough. I do realise that this is no where near ordinarily accepted audio quality,but for the sake of xvids im trying to minimise the audio size to maximise the video size.

3: In terms of vorbis gain, would it be better to normalise the track as your ripping the wav with dvd2avi or is it better to use the vorbis gain track. The latter produces a slightly smaller vorbis file. I'm more concerned about compatiblity here, as i know i can adjust my pc setup to my needs, but i also have an xbox which i use to play movies. does xbmc support the replaygain tag.

4: Finally, which muxer would u recommend, virtualdub or mkvmux.

Thanks.

Reply #1
1: Is it possible to insert aac audio into the mkv container without having audio delay issues.

i used mkvmerge gui few times without such issues (always he acc in mp4 container).
( http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/ )
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #2
1.  That's odd, it should work fine with both programs.
2.  What's sufficeint is up to you.  I'm an audio nut, so I'd use a fairly high bitrate.  However, if you don't mind/can't hear the artifacts then use the low quality presets.  HE AAC would be great for that, if only you could get it to work.
3.  Normalise the track for compatibility with anything.
4.  Personally, I like AVI Mux GUI, but I would use mkvmux over VDubMod

Reply #3
Are we sure your problems arent playback related ? Do you have latest CoreAAC installed ?

Reply #4
Are we sure your problems arent playback related ? Do you have latest CoreAAC installed ?

Thanks 4 the repsonse lads

Oooh, don't know if i have coreaac, i just installed most of the codecs that come with the k-lite codec pack. Does this include it. Actually, i just remembered now, i did make one version the rip that worked perfectly with the xvid, but when i tried to do it again, i always had sound problems.