Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Music Library Management (Read 3977 times) previous topic - next topic

Music Library Management

Hello all. I have a mix of single .flac + cue files and a number of individual tracks  + .cue .  I am trying to decide which was is the best to use. I use Helium Music Manager and it does not break out the individual song names from the .cue unless I am missing a setting. I've looked at CUETools does it change the quality of the existing files or does it simply join all of the individual files into one .flac ? I think I want everything to be one way or the other and not a mix .. How do you manage your collections ?

Music Library Management

Reply #1
Single file with CUE has one advantage, it will always play gapless.
If you use cue-sheets you create a dependency.
The name in the FILE tag must match exactly the name in the file system.
If you rename the audio file, you have to edit the cue-sheet as well.
Likewise if you move the audio file, you have to move the cue-sheet as well.
Sounds trivial but media players might rename and move audio files and ignore the cue-sheet at the same time.

The number of tags is rather limited.
Some  programs use the REM to store additional information not supported by the standard.

My preference is a file per track, I do think this a more flexible solution.
Storing all tags/cover art in the file makes it self documenting.

TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Music Library Management

Reply #2
Single file with CUE has one advantage, it will always play gapless.

if your player/software doesn't play FLAC gapless, it is seriously broken.

Music Library Management

Reply #3
Most media players do, some even play formats gapless that don't support gapless playback (like MP3 or any other format with a fixed frame length).
However DLNA is notorious for not supporting gapless playback
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Music Library Management

Reply #4
I've looked at CUETools does it change the quality of the existing files or does it simply join all of the individual files into one .flac ?

FLAC is lossless so there is no change in quality by decoding to WAV and re-encoding to FLAC.
korth