Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cannot get gapless on converted AAC File (Read 10448 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot get gapless on converted AAC File

I have an album called Awakening: Live from Chicago that when on CD or ripped to FLAC does not have any gaps, when it is transcoded to AAC suddenly they are gaps.

I have other AAC tracks that do run into each other, so its not a playback problem.  I have been using dbPowerAmp to do the conversion

Re: Cannot get gapless on converted AAC File

Reply #1
You might try re-ripping the CD directly to AAC to see if better results.

Or try another app.  I just converted three gapless FLAC tracks from DSOTM to AAC (QAAC) and MP3 (LAME) using foobar2000.  Both play back gapless -- or so close I can't hear it -- in foobar2000.  It's possible they would not do so if played back in another app or on a portable player.  Not much you can do about that other than combine all the tracks into one big file and, if your player supports it, use a CUE sheet to index tracks.

Reply #2
Try converting to ALAC and see if the gaps persist.  If not, you can then import the ALAC files into iTunes and convert them to AAC using iTunes AAC codec.

Reply #3
Try converting to ALAC and see if the gaps persist.  If not, you can then import the ALAC files into iTunes and convert them to AAC using iTunes AAC codec.
Ah, that sounds clever, will try that first

Reply #4
The MP4 (.m4a) container has two different options for gapless playback; the ISO standard, and Apples "iTunes" implementation.

I think dBPowermp uses the FDK-AAC encoder by default, which has the ability to write either or both options when using the fdkaac frontend (using the "-G" option)... I'm not sure if the dBPoweramp GUI exposes this functionality to the user, but it might be worth investigating. Otherwise JunkieXLs suggestion of converting to ALAC then AAC with Apple tools seems a good idea.

Reply #6
Hi spoon,

Thanks, just tried that this morning, and they now play gaplessly phew!