Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Asset UPnP (DLNA) Release 1 (Read 15418 times) previous topic - next topic

Asset UPnP (DLNA) Release 1

Asset is a UPnP (DLNA compatible) audio server, UPnP is a method of sharing media content between devices. Typically audio files are stored on a server and multiple audio devices around the network can play audio from the server (devices such as Linn DS, XBox 360, PS3, etc). Asset features:
  • Designed from the ground up as an audio UPnP server,
  • Album Art support,
  • Customizable browse tree with advanced search facilities (Album by Release, Style, Composer, Conductor...),
  • Configurable Wave / LPCM decoding (no quality loss) for devices which cannot play specific audio types,
  • ReplayGain can be applied to Wave / LPCM stream, volume matching across tracks for devices which have no support,
  • Extensive tagging 'standards' compatibility,
  • Wide-ranging audio support: mp3, FLAC, Apple Lossless, WMA (inc Lossless), m4a, AIFF, Wave
  • Windows Home Server (WHS) specific install, with WHS Connector configuration,
  • Windows 2000 / XP / Vista compatible,
  • Runs efficiently in the background detecting new & changed tracks (as service),
  • Free

Further Details:

http://dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

Reply #1
Looks like a nice feature set, and FREE

I have never played with streaming to the PS3, but now I think I'll give it a go

--edit -- That was painless. Added the application to my firewall as per directions, and the PS3 picked it right up. Streaming TOOL as FLAC at the moment

Any advantages or disadvantages over Wave or LPCM streaming?

Also, I'm not 100% on this, but if the PS3 plays mp3 nativley, it will ignore nay RG information. If I have the PS3 decode the signal, it can apply RG information to the signal. Does this calculate on on the fly, when building the archive, or does it read existing tags from files already RG'd?

-- edit2 -- Skipping on the network, probably just my wifi is not up to the task.

Cheers Spoon.

Kristian

Reply #2
together with FB2K UPnP component being developed by Bubleguuum perhaps this will be nice setup. I am just going to try it out.

Reply #3
>Any advantages or disadvantages over Wave or LPCM streaming?

Only that it would use 2x the bandwidth of say FLAC - as you are having drop-outs you would need high speed wireless, or ethernet over power.

>Also, I'm not 100% on this, but if the PS3 plays mp3 nativley, it will ignore nay RG information.

Correct, PS3 does not do rpg.

>If I have the PS3 decode the signal, it can apply RG information to the signal. Does this calculate on >on the fly, when building the archive, or does it read existing tags from files already RG'd?

It will only use from the ID Tags, if they are present.

Reply #4
I'm looking forward to giving this a go! 

Any chance that WavPack support will be added?

Reply #5
Wavpack support is already supplied with the default install of Asset.

Reply #6
Thanks for the release, but I couldn't get my PS3 to see it. Had to use PS3 Media Server instead, which worked pretty well. FWIW though, I can't get my PS3 to work with WMP11 on Vista (my 360 does though) even though both are supposed to be UPnP/DLNA compatible, so ...
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #7
PS3 should work fine, we have tested (and continue to test) on a ps3.

What is the computer name that Asset is running on?

Reply #8
PS3 should work fine, we have tested (and continue to test) on a ps3.

What is the computer name that Asset is running on?
It's a Toshiba A135-S4527 laptop running Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium 32-bit.

Reply #9
Sorry I meant the computer name in Windows (as this appended to the name which is shown in the UPnP name, ie Asset UPnP : [computer name])

Reply #10
Sorry I meant the computer name in Windows (as this appended to the name which is shown in the UPnP name, ie Asset UPnP : [computer name])
LANmaster

Reply #11
Possibly a firewall issue, Asset runs in the local user service account so your firewall would not popup offering access.

Reply #12
Wavpack support is already supplied with the default install of Asset.
Then by all means do mention it in order to support David's superb work and make Asset even more appealing  .
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #13
I've used Asset UPnP with my PS3 and was surprised how easy it was to set up.  Files that Asset decodes don't play for their full duration (like FLAC.)  It seems to be any WAV/LPCM songs are shortened on the PS3.  Both settings (WAVE and LPCM) produce the same results.

Thanks for the work!

Reply #14
Fixed in R2 Beta (in the beta section of forum.dbpoweramp.com)

Reply #15
Thats good to hear. I thought that was another network issue, not an asset issue. I had given up using it due to these problems, but will give it another go

Reply #16
The songs still get cut short with the beta Release 2.

It seems files decoded by the PS3 (MP3, etc.) skip and are newly cut short as well.
Streamed formats are still cut short but don't seem to skip?