Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: About CDs, ripping and D/A converters. (Read 3160 times) previous topic - next topic

About CDs, ripping and D/A converters.

There's one thing I don't understand about CDs. Why ripping? There's nothing which can be stored on normal CDs except audio data (PCM), which has to be RIPPED. Why isn't it based on files like when I got my CDs ripped. Why do the CD players not just read wav files (yes, wav was no topic as the cd was developed, sure)... because all problems are caused by ripping and burning audio data to the format a AUDIO CD has to be.

jitter, DAE, lost bits etc..........

when I burn a simple text file (word doc eg.) it either works are doesn't work. either I can see the letter I have written or I don't(if the cd is scratched eg.). It's not possible that some letters are changed (comparing to clicks in ripped audio data).

and in a studio (those with HD recording which is standard in modern studios) the music is recorded to wav files too... we'd stay really digital 1:1 til our home stereo D/A converter without any jitter or whatever problems. you wouldn't need some ASPI interface which is programmed by adaptec / you never saw the source.

you wouldn't need a glass master which is retimed because of crappy CDRs which come from the studios...

wouldn't it be easier and more transparent this way ? in my opinion the FILE BASED system is more digital (like real 1:1) than the thing digital media is stored in the way audio CDs do.

Reply #1
This is true.
Unfortunately, audio Cd was designed so as to have the maximum capacity. Allowing inaudible errors lead to 74 minutes of playback instead of 65 minutes in wav files.

And it works very well, so well that we can also ask the opposite question : why on earth CD ROM drives can't perform any error concealment like CD players, that would lead to no audible clicks ?

Reply #2
see. I asked that question somewhere like 1 month ago. I asked why my CD player (sony cdp xa 20ES http://www.scs-uda.com/sony/images/CDP-XA30ES.jpg) can read the CDs perfect but when I rip them I get only clicks and stuff (was a scratched cd)... I got eaten in that forum  "can't be true" "if you don't rip it but play with winamp it will be the same as your cd player" etc etc.

but why should my cd player have a "fixed pick up machanisnm" to provide better sound without jitter or any other clicks or dropouts.... lol

Reply #3
Because when you perform "burst mode" DAE on a cd-rom there's no error checking and correction of the data read, whilst on a cd player there is.

If I'm not wrong, DAE is a special mode of cd-rom operation that works in a different manner than on cd players.

Reply #4
Originally posted by KikeG
Because when you perform "burst mode" DAE on a cd-rom there's no error checking and correction of the data read, whilst on a cd player there is.

If I'm not wrong, DAE is a special mode of cd-rom operation that works in a different manner than on cd players.

yeah right. dae has nothing to do with nomral cd. that was just another example of a feature which wouldn't be needed if we had a file based system on cds

Reply #5
A file system requires a greater amount of "logic" on the player side. This logic is more expensive than what is needed now to read an audio CD. Especially back when the audio CD was standardized.