Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows RT port for jailbreak (Read 2033 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows RT port for jailbreak

Now that there is a Windows RT jailbreak, it'd be kind of cool if a non-Xbox Music player existed for Windows RT.  foobar2000 would be nice to have, but unfortunately, it's not open source.

Would the devs be interested in porting it?  In general, porting to Windows RT is ridiculously easy if you don't use assembly language in your program.

Reply #1
In general, porting to Windows RT is ridiculously easy if you don't use assembly language in your program.

I'd strongly suspect that if your program is close enough to the Windows internals like foobar2000, it won't quite be so "ridiculously easy" as any kind of missing or differing API is going to bite you in the ass.

foobar2000 uses some assembler, but I'm sure for porting that's going to be the least of the worries.

Reply #3
I'd strongly suspect that if your program is close enough to the Windows internals like foobar2000, it won't quite be so "ridiculously easy" as any kind of missing or differing API is going to bite you in the ass.

foobar2000 uses some assembler, but I'm sure for porting that's going to be the least of the worries.

I ported Process Hacker to Windows RT desktop mode in about 6 hours, and Process Hacker uses undocumented Windows NT APIs everywhere - there are few programs that are closer to the internals than that.  The only annoying parts of the port were related to Process Hacker improperly using #ifdef _M_IX86 to mean "if 32-bit".  Once I got it to build, Process Hacker ran the first time.

When coding for a jailbroken Windows RT device, you've essentially got a complete version of 32-bit Windows, with the only difference being the processor, and the fact that you have to make some import libraries yourself.  (For example, Visual Studio 2012 doesn't come with an ARM version of comctl32.lib, so you have to make your own.  It's quite easy, though, and someone already made most of the Windows DLLs' import libraries for Windows RT.)