Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How important is the pipe in a subwoofer? (Read 1515 times) previous topic - next topic

How important is the pipe in a subwoofer?

The cardboard pipe in my subwoofer fell (it's inside the box). Should I open it and put it in it's right place? How important to the sound is the pipe?

Re: How important is the pipe in a subwoofer?

Reply #1
That's called a tuned port, and is important to control the flatness of bass response.

Reply #2
If you run a speaker design program like WinISD you can see how the port size & shape, as well as box size, affect frequency response.   

For a given driver & box size there is an optimum port size/shape that extends low-frequency response without making the speaker "boomy" and without making big dips & bumps in the bass response.      (You probably don't know the Thiele/Small parameters for you woofer and without that you won't get any useful information from WinISD.)

Not all speakers/woofers/subwoofers are designed for smooth-accurate bass, but a monitor subwoofer should be.    Some are designed for "maximum boomy bass" without regard to accuracy...   You've probably heard car stereos with boring-boomy one-note bass.

Reply #3
Should I open it and put it in it's right place?

Yes, the remaining "hole" will raise the tuning frequency. along with the low frequency response.
Loudspeaker manufacturer