Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What does it mean when a clipped waveform on vinyl is "sloped&quo (Read 42622 times) previous topic - next topic

What does it mean when a clipped waveform on vinyl is "sloped&quo

Reply #50
IT IS NOT GETTING HIGHPASSED. At least, if it is, it's less than 2db. And I really doubt that 2db, at any corner frequency or Q, would cause that.

Of COURSE it's highpassed. It ISN'T coming from an electronic filter but from the mechanical behavior of the cartridge/arm combination. I'm surprised it looks as good as it does.

Reply #52
Does it mean that the shape of a groove must be antiderivative of a waveform itself? Triangle (sawtooth) groove will then produce good enough square wave.
You could "anti-slope" the waveform at the recording stage to overcome this in theory, but how would you know how much correction to apply? It's going to vary from one playback system to another, possibly quite dramatically.

I'm glad that Paul bought up the perpetual motion argument. That was going to be my next tack if the explanation in my previous post didn't get the basics across. However, just in case, assume that you have a loudspeaker laying on its back with the cone uppermost. Place a voltage meter across the terminals and lower a weight onto the cone and what do you get?

You see a deflection on the meter as the cone moves under the mass of the applied weight. When the cone reaches the limit of movement imposed by the weight and becomes stationary again, you have no output. Exactly the same thing is going to happen with either a MM or MC magnetic cartridge. Movement = output. No movement = no output.

If holding the needle in a fixed position in the case of a cartridge or the cone in the case of a loudspeaker produced a steady DC output, we'd have energy for nothing.

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

i think this is generally what JAZ tried to say a while ago
and of course this is entirely true, i still find it interesting if you CAN cut a square wave on a vinyl

yes it is possible (ish). I tried it once and got some pretty awful looking results, then I thought, I wonder what would happen if you reversed it and played it back into the cutter? My reasoning was that the playback stylus responds to movement, and since most of the time there is no movement in a square wave, it produces a very odd looking shape. Here are the results (the top image is the first cut, the bottom one is the reversed recut):

Reply #53
BTW, the square and triangle waves aren't aligned properly