Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [POINTLESS] adplug plugin 'Harekiet' not sounds as dosbox (Read 2818 times) previous topic - next topic

[POINTLESS] adplug plugin 'Harekiet' not sounds as dosbox

Hi

This is to the developer of the adplug plugin

https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_adplug

I use dosbox to play ms dos games and since adplug now uses woodyopl emulation code of dosbox, adplug should sound exactly the same as dosbox (when i choose harekiet's emulator in settings)

however the adplug plugin of foobar does NOT sound the same as dosbox...

So this means the adplug plugin for foobar is not using the very latest version of adplug

Is it possible to update it?

You can use this player to hear the woodyopl emulation of dosbox, which sounds exactly as dosbox (go to settings and select woodyopl). This player also uses adplug

https://audacious-media-player.org/

Here is a test DRO file in which you can hear at the beginning of the track some notes that are not played in dosbox but ARE played using the foobar adplug plugin with setting "harekiet's". They should sound exactly the same but foobar sounds different

https://www.mediafire.com/file/45vsvmg420b0bfp/Monster_Bash_-_main_menu.zip/file

I hope you can find what's wrong or update adplug to latest version (containing woodyopl code of dosbox)

thx!
Foobar2000 - It Really Whips ALL Llamas' Ass!

Re: adplug plugin 'Harekiet' not sounds as dosbox

Reply #1
My AdPlug component always renders at the native clock rate of the FM chips, then resamples it to the output sample rate. Dosbox and AdPlug default to rendering at the requested sample rate.

EDIT: Oh look! I updated to the latest AdPlug release! It still sounds pretty much the same! Go bug Dosbox instead, or perhaps the AdPlug project.

Reply #2
Hi

Thanks for updating it but unfortunately if you set your plugin to 'Harekiet' it's NOT using dosbox woodyOPL emulator inside adplug...

Audacious, QMMP, ... all use adplug and sound different then your plugin. Compare Audacious sound set to "WoodyOPL" to your plugin set to "Harekiet".
They don't sound the same. Please listen to the beginning of the song I uploaded.

So you say ALL those software is WRONG? I think DOSBox itself will sound correct (they developed woodyOPL emulator) and since the other players sound exactly the same (they use AdPlug containing DOSBox code), they are correct too.

Your plugin is the only one sounding different when set to 'Harekiet', compared to all other players using Adplug
I don't know what code it is using but it's not Harekiet from DOSBox.
Your code sounds like Audacious set to 'MAME' emulator, which is the old code AdPlug used in the past.

So you have a bug inside your plugin. You must use WoodyOPL here:

https://github.com/adplug/adplug/blob/master/src/woodyopl.cpp

Please fix it!

EDIT: WoodyOPL sounds exactly the same as Nuked OPL3 (see https://audacious-media-player.org/)
In your plugin 'Harekiet' sounds different then Nuked OPL3 and sounds like 'MAME' in Audacious
Clearly a bug or mistake in your plugin

EDIT2: bug dosbox or adplug makes no sense: they both use WoodyOPL, INVENTED by dosbox team :-D
You just use it in your plugin but it doesn't sound the same, so ...

Reply #3
Actually the component wasn't updated yet as the official plugin download still provides v1.50 from January 2018.

The current version can be obtained via this link: download

Reply #5
hi kode54

Do you have an idea why it sounds different then dosbox or audacious when set to 'harekiet' and compared with 'woodyopl', which is the dosbox emulator for opl?

Thanks for updating it to latest adplug!

thx

Reply #6
Have you tried setting the sample rate to 49716Hz? The other players won't sound like mine unless you do this.

Reply #8
Well, somehow, my NAS got out of sync with what was uploaded to Keybase, and I uploaded an older release as a new one. Huh.

Reply #9
Have you tried setting the sample rate to 49716Hz? The other players won't sound like mine unless you do this.

yes all players I use are at 49716Hz

Reply #10
Well, somehow, my NAS got out of sync with what was uploaded to Keybase, and I uploaded an older release as a new one. Huh.

This was the problem!!!
I thought I had the updated one but it was still the old one.

I now downloaded and installed again and ... IT SOUNDS THE SAME as the other players!!!

So AdPlug was just not up to date in the foobar2000 plugin. After the update the sound changed.

Thanks a lot for updating it! It sounds exactly like DOSBox now and like all other players I tried :-)

Reply #11

Still, no foo_input_vgmstream on Keybase (since 2020-06-26).

Reply #12
I'm also interested in knowing what these tones were. I cannot hear any tones different between 1.50 and 1.51. Perhaps it is because I am deaf to anything over about 14kHz.

Reply #13
I'm also interested in knowing what these tones were. I cannot hear any tones different between 1.50 and 1.51. Perhaps it is because I am deaf to anything over about 14kHz.

They are only in very specific music files. Most of the files sound the same

This one has in the beginning of the song notes played, which are less high and different in version 1.51

https://www.mediafire.com/file/45vsvmg420b0bfp/Monster_Bash_-_main_menu.zip/file