Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 7z file (Read 6171 times) previous topic - next topic

7z file

I'm just wondering, but did you make sure to upload the .7z file you recently added to the site in binary mode?

7z file

Reply #1
I'm just wondering, but did you make sure to upload the .7z file you recently added to the site in binary mode?

Wow! All files take 480kb only in .7z format
.7z file works very good.

@ Z
"All files (compressed with 7zip)" - maybe make hyperlink to www.7-zip.org from "7zip" text.

7z file

Reply #2

It's probably an issue with the mime types not being setup properly, due to my laziness.  I'll fix it later or something...

7z file

Reply #3
Yeah it's a mime type issue.

7z file

Reply #4

It's only 63kB smaller than RAR.. 

7z file

Reply #5
Which means you save 15 or more seconds if you're downloading with a dial-up connection.

7z file

Reply #6

It's only 63kB smaller than RAR.. 

You gotta take things within perspective. Let's say the .rar was 5,400kb instead of 540kb, and the 7z would be 4,800kb, the maybe you'd say "wow, 600kb smaller!".
60kb smaller than rar in this case is indeed impressive in my opinion.

7z file

Reply #7
You gotta take things within perspective. Let's say the .rar was 5,400kb instead of 540kb, and the 7z would be 4,800kb, the maybe you'd say "wow, 600kb smaller!".
60kb smaller than rar in this case is indeed impressive in my opinion.

Well 7z's compression varies greatly, so it could easily end up being larger than RAR. Also, 7z uses significantly more CPU time for compression and decompression. For small files it's an acceptable trade off, but with large files, you quickly learn it's just not worth it for those few extra saved bytes.

7z file

Reply #8
VERY often 7-zip compresses much better than RAR, maybe since you gave up on 7z so fast you wouldn't know.
The opposite, especially with large files i learned it very worth it.
7-Zip's speed is definately fast in my opinion, not much slower than of RAR's.
I'm willing to spend some time for very high quality compression. I guess that's a matter of choise.