Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: INVITATION: Can you hear high THD? (Read 1206 times) previous topic - next topic

INVITATION: Can you hear high THD?

Hi guys and gals, just wanted to invite folks here to a new test to try out in early 2020!

You know that measurements of audio gear typically will include harmonic distortion tests. We see numbers like 1% THD, 0.1% THD+N, etc... all the time. Typically also included with graphs in DAC, amp, preamp, phono cartridge results.

But what does this mean when it comes to listening and with real music?

Here's an opportunity to try for yourself and let me know what you hear - preferably using the best sound system you have! As usual, the results will be collected, analyzed, and published once the data gather is done by the end of April 2020. Plenty of time to listen and let me know what you hear.

Remember that I have used rather high amounts of distortion in some of these samples... Theoretically, this should be nowhere as difficult as "can you hear 16-bit vs. 24-bit?" or "24/96 vs. 16/44.1" tests.

Test: Is high Harmonic Distortion in music audible?

Thanks in advance...

Re: INVITATION: Can you hear high THD?

Reply #1
Thanks for posting. Downloaded them. Bad guys simply can check without listening what letter is the unaltered one and claim all others sound bad ;)
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Re: INVITATION: Can you hear high THD?

Reply #2
Ops! I have to read before posting. All files are altered!
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!