Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What setting do you use with LAME 3.97b2?

High bitrate VBR: -V 0 --vbr-new... -V 2 --vbr-new
[ 149 ] (59.4%)
Mid bitrate VBR: -V 3 --vbr-new... -V 5 --vbr-new
[ 85 ] (33.9%)
Low bitrate VBR: -V 6 --vbr-new and below
[ 6 ] (2.4%)
High bitrate ABR (please explain)
[ 1 ] (0.4%)
Mid bitrate ABR (please explain)
[ 1 ] (0.4%)
Low bitrate ABR (please explain)
[ 1 ] (0.4%)
High bitrate CBR (please explain)
[ 4 ] (1.6%)
Mid bitrate CBR (please explain)
[ 0 ] (0%)
Low bitrate CBR (please explain)
[ 0 ] (0%)
Other (please explain)
[ 4 ] (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 312

Topic: The LAME usage poll (3.97 only) (Read 29007 times) previous topic - next topic

The LAME usage poll (3.97 only)

Reply #25
LAME usage? I use cbr, abr, and vbr, from low to high br, depending upon the purpose.

Reply #27
jstereo

omg y u wanna destroy stereo ??ß?ß

who said that Joint Stereo destroys stereo (at least in Lame)???

edit: oops, missed the second page, it was already mentioned.......

Reply #28
You forgot to put the <sarcasm> tag.

Sorry, I thougt it'd be obvious enough. Here you go:
<sarcasm> </sarcasm>
Just put these in my first post where you think they're appropriate .

Edit: messed up the quotebox.

Reply #29
High bitrate (V2 --vbr-new).

I only have one set of MP3 files that I listen to both indoors over stereo equipment and outdoors on my iPod. I have a laptop, and I don't have enough internal storage right now to justify keeping my lossless files on there, so I leave those archived on an external hard drive and backed up to DVD-R and just use the MP3 files. Because I want the sound quality to hold up in many different listening environments, I just go for V2 --vbr-new.

Reply #30
with an average bitrate of ~190kbps -V2 --vbr-new is a no brainer for me
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #31
When I use MP3 I tend to use -V2 --vbr-new the most however I've used the entire -V3 through -V5 range as well depending on the purpose.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

Reply #32
-V4 --vbr-new in general;
-V3 --vbr-new if -V4 is not enough;

(and aoTuV -q5 if even that's not enough).
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

Reply #33
-V5 --vbr-new --athaa-sensititvity 1 with 3.98a3.

• --athaa-sensitivity lowers the ringing issues occuring on quiet moments
• 3.98a corrects the "rumbling" (or "sandpaper noise") audible mostly on tonal moments
• V5 keeps the bitrate on a friendly basis for a portable player with limited storage capavity

=> average bitrate = 130...135 kbps and sound quality is near excellent on my MP3 player (a bit less enjoying at home with better headphones). Only disapointment: stronger distortions on (solo) harpsichord.

Reply #34
V0 --vbr-new as a substitute for lossless (The flacs stay archived on DVDs). I find it perfect for nearly all of classical music.

Reply #35

• 3.98a corrects the "rumbling" (or "sandpaper noise") audible mostly on tonal moments
• V5 keeps the bitrate on a friendly basis for a portable player with limited storage capavity

=> average bitrate = 130...135 kbps and sound quality is near excellent on my MP3 player (a bit less enjoying at home with better headphones). Only disapointment: stronger distortions on (solo) harpsichord.

"-V5 --vbr-new --athaa-sensititvity 1"
is that now default for -V5 in 3.98a4 ?

Reply #36
If size is a factor, I use anything from -V 5 -h --vbr-new to -V 2 -h -Y --vbr-new.  If size isn't a factor, I use -b 320 -h or -V 0 -h --vbr-new.  -V 2 -h --vbr-new and -V 1 -h --vbr-new don't have much practical use for me, because they're overkill when size is a factor and not the best I can use when it isn't.

Reply #37
--preset medium --vbr-new
I don't really know what that preset refers to, but I think it's the same as -V 4 --vbr-new.
ruxvilti'a

Reply #38

Damn, if -V5 --vbr-new --athaa-sensititvity 1 with 3.98a3 is good enough for guru, then it's good enough for me!

"-V5 --vbr-new --athaa-sensititvity 1"
is that now default for -V5 in 3.98a4 ?

Good question...

EDIT: No, --athaa-sensititvity 1 is not default in 3.98a4. -V 5 --vbr-new with and without the athaa switch produces different filesizes by a few kb (larger with --athaa-sensititvity 1).

And look! the same typo five times!
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #39
-V1 -- vbrnew

... for just that extra measure of quality assurance. It's purely psychological, I know, but what's a few MB more overall for peace of mind?

I wouldn't say that V1 is purely psychological... With bit rates of ~210kbps, they aren't quite 320kbps CBR, but are certainly a good bit ahead of V3-V5:

HA Chart

Reply #40
i wonder how many of the "-V 0 --vbr-new... -V 2 --vbr-new" can ABX -V4 or even -V5 (i can't)

Reply #41
-V2 --vbr new. Surprisingly, there is a HUGE difference to my ears between V2 and V3 for MP3s ripped to CD and played on my car stereo. V3 does not sound good at all while V2 sounds great. On the iPod, V3 sounds better - but still use V2 as it works for all devices I listen to music on and don't want 2 sets of MP3s in my library.

Reply #42
-V2 --vbr-new for music
-V7 --vbr-new for audiobooks

Reply #43
I Use in 99% of cases 256 or 320 with stereo.If the result is not enough to me in 256,320. I don't worry about the space utilized , I will just worry about space if I was wearing a lossless.  And reading the problem with some samples I put more thrusth in this values in CBR  .I just wear VBr when i want to hear mp3' in portables(-V4 --vbr-new -b96 -ms -h).But I just use this values 'cause the problem with the samples, I have a lot of musics with samples like those  and I like so much of VBR but the problem of artifacts with these samples make me angry. 
I use the following versions for encode:3.90.3(rarely), 3.97b2(i wear this version in 99% of musics) and the newest 3.98a4(rarely)
I re-edited this 'cause an error "i wear them in 99% of musics" when the correct is "i wear this version in 99 % of musics",and put rarely infront of the coment of the 2 other versions 'cause i rarely use them,especially the 3.98a4 i use this just for problematic samples like those and when this version give more quality.
Sorry for my bad english.

Reply #44
-V2 --vbr new. Surprisingly, there is a HUGE difference to my ears between V2 and V3 for MP3s ripped to CD and played on my car stereo. V3 does not sound good at all while V2 sounds great. On the iPod, V3 sounds better - but still use V2 as it works for all devices I listen to music on and don't want 2 sets of MP3s in my library.

So on your car -V 2 sounds a lot better than than -V 3, but on your iPod -V 3 is better?
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #45
Used -Aps then -preset fast medium in 3.90.3.. then -V4 in 3.96/97 now messing around with -V5 --vbr-new which sounds okay too.

Lame has been good in middle bitrates (140~170k vbr or abr) for many years and recently 135k has become quite usable.

Reply #46
Surprisingly, there is a HUGE difference to my ears between V2 and V3 for MP3s ripped to CD and played on my car stereo.

so, you abx, or is your "feeling"?

But I just use this values 'cause the problem with the samples, I have a lot of musics with samples like those  and I like so much of VBR but the problem of artifacts with these samples make me angry. 
I use the following versions for encode:3.90.3, 3.97b2(i wear them in 99% of musics) and the newest 3.98a4

again, is abx or just your feeling?

Reply #47
-V5 --vbr-new

only listening to this in car stereo via 1 GB usb-stick
or via Koss KSC 75 during running outdoors.

I can abx -V5 easily without headphones in hifi environment,
so there I play Lossless or MPC quality 7-8, ie. 220k vbr and higher.

Mareo.exe via eac is a great tool !

Reply #49
V0 VBR , because I listen to my music at home mostly, I don't have a car and don't like headphones.
So when I listen to mp3 I go for the quality since size isn't a big issue to me.