Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar and MMCSS (Read 7318 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar and MMCSS

Good evening,

I have a question regarding MMCSS in Foobar.
I have thread priority 7 (highest possible degree in Foobar) selected.
I have crossed: USE MMCSS.
When I change from Playback to any mode, nothing happens. Even if I type in XXX for example and press APPLY I do not even get an error message during playback.
I have additionally downloaded Process Explorer to evaluate Priority values.
When sarting playback in Foobar WASAPI 64 opens just below the foobar icon in Process Explorer. Clicking on that icon you are able to derive priority values under Properties. For AUDIO, PLAYBACK CAPTURE , WINDOWS MANAGER and PRO AUDIO, all Priority values are always the same. The same happens if you examine Foobar2k directly (by marking the icon and select properties....)

Is the MMCSS functionality just a fake?

best regards

Sascha

Re: Foobar and MMCSS

Reply #1
I don't think you'll see the "results" in Process Explorer.

If you type in XXX it matches no Task under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
(unless you've created  a Task named "XXX" there)

So my guess is that either MMCSS isn't enabled at all in this case or it's selecting one of the Tasks automatically.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/windows/desktop/ms684247%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Btw: Here (foobar2000 1.3.9) the default is "Audio", not "Playback" (as in previous versions?) ...

Reply #2
Hi Dandruff,

thanks for the reply.

Ok, if typing in xxx the program might revert to some default setting, that is understood.

On the other hand: If switching between real modes like audio and Playback, threre should be a change in priority, which can be traced somehow. Process Explorer is a tool with which Thread Priorities can be read out, this is not possible with the normal Windows Task Manager.
There must be a way to figure out if MMCSS setting really make a difference.

Sascha

Reply #3
There must be a way to figure out if MMCSS setting really make a difference.

Yeah, could be tested with another application that uses almost all of your CPU at the same time (and maybe a huge harddisk copy task at the same time). Then watch for dropouts in foobar2000.

Reply #4
Ok, might be a way.
I have tried PlayPcmWin yesterday evening as well and changed the priority setting in the program. Again, I came to the same results: The Priority values did not change at all.
I will check out your suggestions that evening and keep you on loop.

Reply #5
Hi Dandruff,

I have done some testings yesterday. I made Foobar and a very resource consuming task with a photo processing program run simultaneously. Under no circumstances did changes in the Foobar MMCSS settings make any difference in task scheduling (Priority).
It seems almost as if MMCSS and thread changes made in Foobar are not ransferred to Window' MMCSS service protocol. The MMCSS service itself is certainly engaged, featuring however a lower base priority than Foobar by default.

best regards

Sascha

Reply #6
You did't pay enough attention in Process Explorer.
With MMCSS on (default Audio profile):

With MMCSS off:

Reply #7
Hi Case,

thank you a lot for your reply, highly appreciated.

I would like to show you my scrrenshot, but I do not know how to copy an image into the browser. The insert picture function implies an URL so the snaphot should be with an Internet address?
Anyway, it is telling a different story in  my case. If using the Audio , MMCSS ON and highest Thread Priority in Foobar, I do not get your values. If jumping through Thread ID's in the same window you have shown (in my case : FOOBAR.Exe3292properties) prioritie values are changing , in the second row I am getting 7,9,Normal,5,2 as values.
So what is wrong? I suppose that Foobar need not be restrted after each change in settings?

best regards

Sascha

Reply #8
I would like to show you my scrrenshot, but I do not know how to copy an image into the browser. The insert picture function implies an URL so the snaphot should be with an Internet address?
Use a free image hosting service like http://imgur.com/ or http://postimage.org/. Upload your screen captured image to the image hosting site and then post the hosting service's URL of the image here.  8)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #9
Ok, thanks,

here its is:

hope it works

Reply #10
You're looking properties from the wrong thread I guess. Here four threads are running and on of them shows the changes as in Case's pictures.

Reply #11
Hi Dandruff,

thanks, I have fixed it meanwhile, I found the thread, but it only works when playing music, that is what I was not aware of.

Thanks a lot....

Sascha