Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CD ripped CUE FLAC dither? (Read 1722 times) previous topic - next topic

CD ripped CUE FLAC dither?

Using foobar to split CUE files into individual tracks (because I have read the Medieval CUE splitter is BAD).

When converting in foobar, (if set to ALWAYS) the output WILL HAVE DITHER only when a bit change has occured, correct?

Currently, I'm converting EAC ripped CDs to FLAC with a cue file I made like a decade or more ago. I know this is a stupid question but I just want to verify before I proceed with my probably hundreds hours of work. But my question applies to any bit depth/audio file type really.

So in my above scenario with CD rips, even though dither is set to ALWAYS, the output file in fact won't be dithered because I have my output set to 16bit, correct?

Thanks for the (hopefully very quick) answer and help!

Ben

Re: CD ripped CUE FLAC dither?

Reply #1
The "always" option indeed means always. It will dither even when bitdepth doesn't change.

Re: CD ripped CUE FLAC dither?

Reply #2
Okay, I'm very glad I asked then. I wish there was an "only on bit change" option then.

Thanks for the response.

Ben