Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Some kind of flanger on a mp3 (file provided) (Read 1555 times) previous topic - next topic

Some kind of flanger on a mp3 (file provided)

Hi all,

I use Foobar2000 as my default music player (v1.3.14). I recorded a part of the rhythm guitar of Ho, Hey from Lumineers to help a friend playing it and when I listen it throught Foobar2000, I hear some kind of flanger (it's subtle but you can hear it well at the end of the mp3) and I tried with other players : VLC, Groove, in Firefox and I even downloaded MusicBee to be sure and it does this only in Foobar AND this mp3 (or the original wav file).

It's the first time I hear something like.

Not a big deal but it's always a good thing to understand why it does this :).

Re: Some kind of flanger on a mp3 (file provided)

Reply #1
Can't hear anything odd, just a smooth decay with a tiny cutoff after the last strum.

Plugins? DSPs? Output mode?

Reply #2
Sounds normal here too. If it's only happening in FB2K then you likely have some FX switched on, or some 'behind the scenes' SRC is going on maybe?

Reply #3
Thanks for replies. I also asked my self about plugins or something else but it happens only to this file. I tried the mp3 file on an other PC and it sounds ok so it seems it's something very specific to my main PC, this file and Foobar2000.

I recorded with a mic in front of speakers the end of the file where it's more obvious (at 8") what I hear from Foobar2000.

Reply #5
I hear a thud after each of the last notes at approximately 7.05s and 8.25s, and then again similarly sounding steps during the fadeout: d-d-d-d. These sounds attract my attention because they sound like repaired clicks or sudden jumps in level. With the volume raised, these sounds indeed change into "wows" and seem less annoying. I don't know if this is to be expected from a microphone in front of the speaker. They aren't present in the original clip.

Reply #6
I don't know if this is to be expected from a microphone in front of the speaker. They aren't present in the original clip.

It's what I hear, the mic in front of speaker just recorded it ;). As it's very specific, I think the topic can be marked as "Solved".

Reply #7
It's even clearly visible in the spectrogram, see image.
In yours as well? It's still a mystery why playing in foobar produces this wobble. Could be an effect set in windows or your sound card.

Reply #8
It's not an effect set in Windows or my soundcard (which has no effects by the way) cause it happens only on this mp3. It remains some of mystery of computers :P.