Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Contributing to the wiki/knowledgebase (Read 16383 times) previous topic - next topic

Contributing to the wiki/knowledgebase

I looks very much like the wiki is very rarely used and only by very few ppl.
If ppl would post here and let me know why this is so I'd be very grateful.

Reply #1
Since you cared enough to start the thread, how about editing your post to extoll the wonders of wiki for wiki-n00bs like me

(Seriously, I've heard the term wikipedia but never an explanation of how and why it's better than The Almighty Google.)

Reply #2
IMHO.
The wiki isn't promoted enough. The links to wiki should be located in better places(like in audiocoding.com) because only few know that there excists a wiki.

Reply #3
Since you cared enough to start the thread, how about editing your post to extoll the wonders of wiki for wiki-n00bs like me

(Seriously, I've heard the term wikipedia but never an explanation of how and why it's better than The Almighty Google.)

Does this thread explain what you need to know?
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....howtopic=13040&
Let me know if I should write some more info

Thank you for posting.

IMHO.
The wiki isn't promoted enough. The links to wiki should be located in better places(like in audiocoding.com) because only few know that there excists a wiki.

Could you make some suggestions?
Right now there is a link at the frontpage to the left.

Thank you for posting.

Reply #4
I actually find myself referring to the HA wiki on a fairly regular basis.  There's a lot of great information there for someone as relatively inexpereienced as myself...

I often consider registering for it, but comparatively speaking, I know absolutely nothing compared to 90% of the people here.  I'm afraid of contributing something when obviously there's someone out there who knows more about what I'm posting, or at the very least a better way of explaining it.  I assume there's some sort of validation service to make sure people are posting correct information, but then if I do submit incorrect information, I'm just bogging down the system.  So, I ask myself, why bother?

That being the case, I think the wiki is a great resource, and one that I do use.  I hope those who really are the experts will contribute more often.

I hope you find some of this insight at least somewhat meaningful.   

Also, is there a changelog of sorts that describes what sections have recently been updated?
I just discovered Opus. Holy mackerel!

Reply #5
I actually find myself referring to the HA wiki on a fairly regular basis.  There's a lot of great information there for someone as relatively inexpereienced as myself...

I often consider registering for it, but comparatively speaking, I know absolutely nothing compared to 90% of the people here.  I'm afraid of contributing something when obviously there's someone out there who knows more about what I'm posting, or at the very least a better way of explaining it.  I assume there's some sort of validation service to make sure people are posting correct information, but then if I do submit incorrect information, I'm just bogging down the system.  So, I ask myself, why bother?

The idea behind a wiki is that you contribute what you know, and those who know more edit what you wrote and add more info of their own.
Also, is there a changelog of sorts that describes what sections have recently been updated?

Look at the "History" tab of each page, or go to (EDIT) "Recent Changes".
"Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored."
—Aldous Huxley

Reply #6
It might be a good idea to add a link to wiki to the navigation bar now including "portal", "Forums","New Posts" etc.
TOS #15 might also be interesting. It could be something like "everybody must read wiki before posting questions and everybody must add the new information ,which was got after posting the question, to wiki." (This might be too radical)

Reply #7

HA wiki: http://doc.hydrogenaudio.org/wikis/hydroge...o/RecentChanges

Foobar wiki: http://doc.hydrogenaudio.org/wikis/foobar2000/RecentChanges

Both links are at the frontpage of each wiki.

Yes, I find your input useful. It explains why there are not so many contributors but not why there are nearly non recently.

I agree that if you are going to write some info you should be sure that it is correct. That being said you don't have to add much. If you read something in the wiki and get an idea for something that could be added; then please do so.

If you know the facts I don't see a problem in you adding them even if someone could do it better. It is always easier for other people to just modify your submission if they can do better. Also you can't do much harm since all submissions are saved.

And technically there's no check on the quality of the info other than me and all the users of the wiki...

Reply #8
Easy answer for my lack of wiki contributions: "better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and completely prove you are a fool" And, if I contribute "iffy" info, why make more work for some other poor soul to edit? There have been times I have been tempted to add "commentary" to portions of the wiki that are empty of content, but I refer back to my self directed quote above   
you will make mp3's for compatibility reasons.

Reply #9
It might be a good idea to add a link to wiki to the navigation bar now including "portal", "Forums","New Posts" etc.

I second this idea as well. I never even noticed it was on the front page until Jan told me, because I rarely use the Portal to browse HA.
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

Reply #10
Quote from: Mono,Feb 21 2004, 01:44 PM
Quote from: The idea behind a wiki is that you contribute what you know, and those who know more edit what you wrote and add more info of their own.

Ah, I understand.  Well, that changes my perspective considerably. 

I will definitely register then, and add my two cents wherever I can, although I am still a little concerned about posting information that is not technically "correct" and having people read through it, not knowing that it's incorrect.  If the information can't be "fixed" in time, we run the risk of misinforming people, and defeating the whole purpose of the wiki

I also do agree that the link to the wiki is not in a very conspicuous location.  I agree that perhaps the top of the page would be a better place for the link, or at least in such a place that it becomes a part of the standard header/footer of every page on HA, so that it is essentially accessible anywhere, anytime.
I just discovered Opus. Holy mackerel!

Reply #11
Well, i haven't had any decent knowledge about the wiki. But now i know what it is/what is it for.

Already signed in. 

Reply #12
IMHO adding it to the portal is a good idea. You could also consider making the wiki and FAQ stand out from the rest. I also think it might be a good idea to start the FAQ with a link to the wiki and explain what  a "wiki" is. I'm not so sure alot of people know that word. At least I didn't before this one was started.

Btw: Before I saw this thread I had forgotten about it...

Reply #13
The formatting is also annoying compared to other wikis....not once have I managed to add something and get it to show up right on the first try , whereas this isn't true of other wikis I've used.
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

Reply #14
The additional account signup makes me less likely to contribute, though I believe I understand the reasons for having it.

It is somewhat irritating that I apparently cannot use my preexisting HA nick and password in the wiki ("This member id is invalid or already in use.") even though it is clearly hosted by (and for) HA.

Reply #15
Coming in HA, with all the content to browse on the forum, when I had infos to post, I always had the choice between posting it directly on the forum, with everyone reading and adding comments, or going through the wiki formatting rules (italic text, titles...), how to add pictures (where to upload, how to link..), how to insert links, review the wiki words so that they are all used properly as needed in the new post, update the TOC etc...
And I usually only have the time (and not always) for the first choice.

Then, another thing that stops me is that I don't know all the content. There are many pages not linked from the main page or main TOC, so I don't know when I want to post something if it is already there, somewhere.
I don't see what is missing, what is already there, what I can add. In fact most TOC entries link to sub TOCs. And in the articles themselves, there are many links to other pages, and I don't know if these other pages are also accessible from the other subTOCs (that I don't see from the main page, but only clicking every TOC entry one by one), or if they are exclusively accessible from here.

For example, there is a page in the Wiki about Neural Networks. Just try to find it !

Reply #16
I looks very much like the wiki is very rarely used and only by very few ppl.
If ppl would post here and let me know why this is so I'd be very grateful.

So there is a wiki? Where is it?   

I never knew it was there. I finally found it, but it's called "knowledge base". I think more people may just not know.
Glauber Ribeiro
Yoyodine Propulsion Systems - The future starts tomorrow!

Reply #17
For example, there is a page in the Wiki about Neural Networks. Just try to find it !

I found it, but it wasn't a particularly intuitive process to locate it, so I understand exactly what you mean.

Reply #18
Speaking for me as a non-pro I always think of usability.
The wiki (I never looked up ANYTHING there) isn't very well in order; it's hard to find information...and most of it is rather (mh how do I say that) global.
Where is the precise information about...lets say the "core adjustments"?
This wiki is supposed to be some kind of a replacement for a HELP file, right? Therefore you need some detailed informations/descriptions of EVERY possible adjustment for non-pros.
As an example (ok, a bad one...not a wiki and not a great software  ) see this. A helpful piece of manual...you find what you need even if you don't know what you're looking for.

By the way: you have my respect teetee, you had a hell of a job I guess!

Maybe it needs some kind of a moderator who reorganises the information given. Maybe it's possible to create some kind of topics and everybody can voluntarily sign up for this or that part. It's still possible to modify the results if incorrect but with that you covered all necessary questions.
Right now I don't see a great difference between the forum and the wiki (regarding the usability!).

JD

Reply #19
A suggestion:

Wouldn't it be a good idea if people start a thread in the forum to gather and discuss information that's supposed to get integrated into the wiki? That way everyone can contribute without fearing to submit invalid information to the wiki. Further, everybody who hasn't enough time to create a wiki entry but has knowledge to contribute can add his thoughts in the regular manner of posting to the HA forums. And people who have problems expressing themselves in english correctly could contribute easier, as they don't have to fear that they write nonsense due to language barriere etc.

If all the information in such a thread were found to be valid and complete someone with enough time can make an entry in the wiki for it.

Regards, David

Edited typos

Reply #20
A few thoughts more: Threads which get created for wiki stuff could be opened in the topic related forum and could simply have the term "wiki" or "for wiki" some where in the title. Antoher good thing were, that not everybody who wants to contribute must register to edit the wiki.

Reply #21
I just find the layout very messy and unconfortable to browse. I have no direct preferences but as a good example I think AudioCoding's wiki turns out great. Simple and easier to work on.

This wiki is too messy for me even to edit anything in.

my 5C

Reply #22
TOS #15 might also be interesting. It could be something like "everybody must read wiki before posting questions and everybody must add the new information ,which was got after posting the question, to wiki." (This might be too radical)

...because of course everybody reads the TOS before posting 
-CyberInferno

Reply #23
I for one was put off by the complex interface... It's too hard to navigate through to find relevent information, and the layout isnt intuitive at all.

Reply #24
I seem to be too dumb to figure out reStructuredText. I can't find a usable link to a reStructuredText documentation. All I ever see is the goal and history of RST. Frankly, I don't care about that. *scrolls down* In that document is a link to http://mail.python.org/pipermail/doc-sig/2...une/001858.html. Aha! Yet again we have goals and history. Let's see what else is there... Ah! The specs. Those are about as easy to read as most license agreements. Lots of _:: in the titles. What's that got to do with anything? Is that text allready written in RST? Imagine reading the html specs written in html, opened in notepad. How am I supposed to know what belongs to the actual definitions and which is just markup I could ignore?

OK, we go back to the other page and start reading... Oh, right in one of the first link-filled paragraphs I get sent to Quick reStructuredText. Sounds good, I want to get started quickly!

Hm..  *emphasis* **strong emphasis**.. ok.. `interpreted text`
The rendering and meaning of interpreted text is domain- or application-dependent. It can be used for things like index entries or explicit descriptive markup (like program identifiers).
Huh, what, a parental advisory? OK, never mind...  reference_
A simple, one-word hyperlink reference. See Hyperlinks.
To what? What exactly is a reference anyway? If that stranger on the street makes a reference to _The Savior. Does he mean Jesus? Or Luke Skywalker? Wouldn't that only be a reference to "The"? What about spaces?

Well, I'll look at "Hyperlinks" then, hyperlinks are usefull... External hyperlinks, like Python_. .. _Python: http://www.python.org/
OK, here we go: a popular search_. .._search: http://www.google.com engine. You can search_. .._search: http://www.google.com for a lot of things_. .._things: http://howthingswork.virginia.edu/.

I guess that will make "search" clickable. Again, what about spaces? And that is supposed to be unobtrusive (a design goal).

All this morse code before and after a word confuses me. I need an idiot's guide.