Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how do i boost winamp output (Read 4218 times) previous topic - next topic

how do i boost winamp output

I'm sitting and listing to some digital radio with winamp with all my volume on max (headset and volume kontrol in windows).
whem my icq beep it like 50% higher and give my a headache.
is there a way to boost winamp volume output to be greateter so that icq and other stuff will be more faint compared to winamp ?
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #1
Equalizer, maybe? 

Or how about disabling ICQ-sounds?

Reply #2
Shame!

Code: [Select]
del "C:\Program Files\ICQ\Sounds\Startup.wav"

and/or

re-equalize the rest of wavs...
"Taking a jazz approach and concentrating on live playing, I wanted to use several different rhythm sections and vintage instruments and amps to create a timeless sound that's geared more around musicality and vibe than sonic perfection. The key was to write with specific rhythm sections in mind, yet leave open spaces for soloing." Lee Ritenour

Reply #3
"C:\Program Files\ICQ\Sounds\Startup.wav"

More important: ...\ICQ\Sounds\Message.wav

If something is too loud, don't make something else louder!

Reply #4
If this is a frequent problem I suggest opening the ICQ sounds in an audio editor and manually adjusting volume. Reducing by 50% should be enough, I think.

Cheers,
Uosdwis

Reply #5
I've had this same problem... quite annoying really.  I just got fed up and turned the sound off.  Nothing sucks more than listening to some super quiet/ambient experimental music and then having your head blown off by an "uh oh"...  >_<

Reply #6
Remember that you can throw Mirabilis ICQ client to the thrash and use the open source Miranda client to replace it. And for that matter you could do the same with MSN... And if you ever try a Jabber client, transports will connect you to those services as well.

http://miranda-icq.sourceforge.net/
http://www.jabber.org/

In my case, i decided to produce computer beeps instead of letting that annoying lemming like noise  (besides it helps when you have your home amp/computer speakers off for some reason...)
She is waiting in the air

Reply #7
I'm using Trillian - I will use Jabber some day, I guess I'm just shy because of the way it works (being reliant on an independant server).

However, I would recommend perhaps hunting for a more subtle ICQ sound scheme.

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

Reply #8
is there a way to boost winamp volume output to be greateter so that icq and other stuff will be more faint compared to winamp

Umm... switch to Trillian? 

Reply #9
Not only icq

the problem does not only lie with icq sound but also windows generelt sound andet other programs sound. winamps is just to faint
I'm listening to www.digitallyimported.com tranve channels.

i could normalize win and icq sound down that would sole 95% of my problem but is there no way to bost winamp as it would solve my problem 100%
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #11
sven_Bent:

This might be a nice workaround. It's a batch file from the German PC-Welt magazine which disables all Windows sounds if you execute it. If you execute it again, it will re-enable them.

I translated the ECHOs to English (what a hell of a lot of work that was...), everything else should work on non-German Win versions.

SOUND.BAT:

Code: [Select]
@echo off

if exist %windir%\#Nosound.REG start /w regedit.exe /s %windir%\#Sound.REG
if exist %windir%\#Nosound.REG echo Windows sounds enabled.
if exist %windir%\#Nosound.REG goto Killer

:SoundsOff
echo REGEDIT4 > %windir%\#Nosound.REG
echo. >> %windir%\#Nosound.REG
echo [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents] >> %windir%\#Nosound.REG
echo. >> %windir%\#Nosound.REG
start /w regedit /e %windir%\#Sound.REG HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents
%comspec% /c start /w regedit.exe /s %windir%\#Nosound.REG
echo Windows sounds disabled.
goto Over

:Killer
del %windir%\#Nosound.REG

:Over
echo.
exit

Hope this helps,

Dominic

Edit: That won't disable the ICQ sounds, of course.

Reply #12
By the way... I tried editing Message.wav; Audacity 1.1 Beta plays it back *much* too quiet (seems to be it can't read that specific WAV format correctly), and if I take SNDREC32 to decrease the volume, the file will sound like crap afterwards.

EAC's Wave editor only reads 44.1kHz 16bit files, so that's not an option.

Can anybody recommend another good, free audio editor? I know of Goldwave which is shareware if I recall correctly, I should have that lying around here somewhere. I'm not inclined to download CoolEdit though... :/

(Sorry for moving a little off topic...)

Reply #13
mmmh, Trillian... 

although i'll probably switch to jabber sooner or later.. but Trillian's UI owns.
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.