Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MIDI Player vs AdPlug (Read 1849 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI Player vs AdPlug

I just updated the components and latest beta foobar, and, for some reason, MIDIs stopped working. The error window would say "file not found" and the MIDI component configuration menu reported "BASS not loaded."
Poking arround I finally found this to be apparently triggered by AdPlug being placed before the MIDI player in the decoder priority list. Once I put MIDI ahead of AdPlug, MIDI playback started working again.

Is AdPlug trying to play MIDI files now?

Re: MIDI Player vs AdPlug

Reply #1
That is correct. I have updated several components which used hacks to work around multiple inputs supporting a format, and since AdPlug supports MIDI in its own way, it now plays files of that type if it has priority.

Re: MIDI Player vs AdPlug

Reply #2
If AdPlug can play MIDI now, why do I get this error when trying to play MIDI with AdPlug given priority?
Unable to open item for playback (Object not found):
"E:\musWIP\_chiptemp\Lotus 3 [ami]\_arranged\main-theme-xg.mid"
It plays fine with the MIDI component.

Man, how much I would prefer if foobar would instead have an editable filetype to component mapper.
Components would declare their supported types and the user would map them, either by component, checking and unckecing types from per component lists, or by filetype, choosing a component from a drop down list for each type... or both.
I read a long time ago that Peter won't anything like that... I hope the priority list is a sign that he'll eventually change his mind.

As a bonus, this mapping feature could be integrated into the contextual menu for the playlist, allowing the user to reload a file with a different component, set the mapping for the type permanently and/or other possibilities. I could see this extended functionality being superfluous and problematic, though.