Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Library update after file rename? (Read 1601 times) previous topic - next topic

Library update after file rename?

I just renamed a bunch of files (using foobar) to have the track number at the start of each name.  I then tried to play some of them from the library tree, and it would not do anything.  It wasn't even sending the filenames to the playlist.

I am suspecting that it was still updating the library in the background, even though the status of the file location in the library  preferences page was "monitoring".  I restarted foobar, and the status changed to "initializing".  Soon after I was able to play the files.

Making the situation worse I suspect, is that the files are remote on a windows share, and there were quite a lot of them.

Am I thinking correctly here, and did I have to restart foobar (or would it have sorted itself out after a longer period of time)?

Re: Library update after file rename?

Reply #1
File change monitoring doesn't tend to work that well over remote shares. You can also right click on a media library path and force an update.

Reply #2
File change monitoring doesn't tend to work that well over remote shares. You can also right click on a media library path and force an update.

Didn't know about that context menu, so thanks.

OTOH I thought I'd read somewhere that foobar would be aware of file operations like renaming carried on by itself, so I thought maybe the library would keep track, rather than rely on the monitoring for a change.

Reply #3
It uses a Windows API for monitoring changes, one which is not really perfect when it comes to network shares.

Reply #4
thanks for the clarification

Reply #5
It also depends on whether the SMB network share is hosted by another Windows machine, or if Samba, depends on how old it is. I'm not sure if any version of Samba reliably reports file changes to clients.

Reply #6
It also depends on whether the SMB network share is hosted by another Windows machine, or if Samba, depends on how old it is. I'm not sure if any version of Samba reliably reports file changes to clients.

Yep, you picked it, it is a version of Samba running on a Thecus NAS.