Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Announcements of existing programs adding support for Opus (Read 56580 times) previous topic - next topic

Announcements of existing programs adding support for Opus

Good News!
Now there is tagging support for Opus in the new development version of Mp3tag 2.54a.
See here.

Reply #1
I was just reading the development page with the news. I only use foobar2000 even for tagging and TagScanner sometimes but this is great, cheers for Opus!

Reply #3
The latest version of the CD-writing, imaging, etc. program ImgBurn has added support for Opus. Destroid made a thread about support for TAK arriving at the same time and mentioned Opus as a footnote, but since the latter is of interest to a lot of people here, I thought it might deserve its own thread.

Then I realised we could do with a general location for users to post short announcements of programs that have added Opus to their roster. And then, rather than making a new thread, I hijacked this one.  I guess if really big names add support for Opus, and/or discussion about one such program spins off rapidly, those might deserve their own thread. However, for now, we might as well have a catch-all place for simple, short pieces of news about adoption of the format.

Reply #5
Beets, the music library manager will have opus support in the next minor release (v1.3.1). Unfortunately I wasn't able to complete it in time for the just released v1.3.0.

Reply #6
I just noticed this pinned topic.  DeaDBeeF has had Opus playback support through the ffmpeg libraries (libavcodec) for some time now.  Not everyone can use this for various reasons, and it lacks support for tagging and some other features.  Great player for Linux.

I have just finished writing a dedicated Opus plugin with tag editing support, playback of mixed Theora/Opus streams, chained files, and replaygain.  It uses the libopusfile library for decoding and libogg for tag writing.  Tarball available here.

Re: Announcements of existing programs adding support for Opus

Reply #8
GoldWave has a lot of support for Opus.

Reply #9
The current PowerAmp beta(Android player) has support for Opus.

Reply #10
The current PowerAmp beta(Android player) has support for Opus.

Yeah the android players list is slowly growing.

Btw. Android 5 has not native Opus support. I had many Android5s and no one was able play

Reply #11
Btw. Android 5 has not native Opus support. I had many Android5s and no one was able play
Android 5 HAS native opus support. But support is implemented in a very ugly way. Opus audio has to be be in mkv (or webm) container to be scanable and playable natively. Also maybe renaiming opus files to ogg might help in some cases.

Reply #12
Does Android 7 support Opus in Ogg container? Who knows?

If there is no Ogg Opus support, please vote for all Opus issues here: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list?can=1&q=summary%3Aopus (just add a star for every Opus issue).

Reply #13
I have two devices running different Android 6.0.1-based ROMs. And both support .opus files natively.

------

One interesting use-case I found for Opus is using it in HLS livestreams. This use-case became possible when FFmpeg added support for Opus in MPEG-TS. And thus, Opus in HLS only works in FFmpeg-based players.

Opus in MPEG-TS was implemented with satellite broadcasting in mind. I don't think anyone was thinking that this
will open the door for using Opus in HLS.

Reply #16
AudioWorks now supports the encoding and tagging of Opus files from PowerShell.

Reply #18
loudgain (R128 ReplayGain 2 tagger) supports Opus starting with version 0.5.3.

Great news, you should publish your App on flathub for more exposure.  Many Linux newbies  don't have a clue on how to compile source or even know what it means let alone github.  Many modern Linux distros have flatpak pre-installed so getting flathub published programs is a single install mouse click without screwing up their OS installation.

flathub - https://www.flathub.org/home

Reply #19
Thanks for the nice feedback!

I agree it’s pretty hefty for a newbie to compile stuff themselves (though it’s not THAT complicated, I promise!). Unfortunately, it’s nearly impossible to get it picked up by, say Debian, so it’ll be included in Debian and it’s derivatives like Ubuntu, Mint, … The Arch AUR was much easier—someone just picked it up and maintains it already.

Then of course, I’m only a one-man-show and unable to do all the packaging work for  for a lot of systems. I already provide a "static" binary for amd64-type systems (loudgain.static in the /bin folder) but it’s quite slow loading because it brings all its dependencies with it.

As sometimes happens, I’m quite overwhelmed by the choices for alternative install methods: There are AppImage, flatpak, Snap, docker, homebrew, and probably others. Pandora’s box, somehow … I know about radio, broadcasting, audio and a little about programming but definitely not enough for handling all this packaging stuff … HELP! :-) In earnest, I’d appreciate help in this matter by someone more knowledgeable than I am.

I’ll investigate in flathub, thanks for your input!