Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Organising Music Library (Read 3182 times) previous topic - next topic

Organising Music Library

Hi,
I know there have been threads on this before but I have a few specific questions. Feel free to merge this to another thread if you think necessary.

I am currently organising my music library, I want to get it all right in the windows system and then import everything into tunes again so it is all accurate. I'm using tag & rename to help me get all the file names and tags accurate.

One question I have is what is the best way to name files which have a "featuring" artist? For example, I could have

Deadmau5 ft. Kaskade – I remember
Deadmau5 ft. Rob Swire – Ghosts n Stuff etc

but then on my ipod under artists I will end up with Deadmau5, Deadmau5 ft. Kaskade, Deadmau5 ft. Rob Swire all under different artists, when really they should all be under Deadmau5. For some artists this could be up to 10 different tabs for the 1 artist. So would I be better to put

Deadmau5 – I remember ft. Kaskade
Deadmau5 – Ghosts n Stuff ft. Rob Swire

I'm interested to see what others have done. I know it seems pedantic but if I'm going to go to the trouble of doing this I want to do it right. Thanks!

Organising Music Library

Reply #1
Unfortunately iPods do not brows by "Album Artist" only Artist.

You could add the albums that feature other artists to compilations, not a nice workaround but it works.

Maybe others here have better solutions.

Organising Music Library

Reply #2
on my ipod under artists I will end up with Deadmau5, Deadmau5 ft. Kaskade, Deadmau5 ft. Rob Swire all under different artists, when really they should all be under Deadmau5.

I think that's a matter of opinion

Organising Music Library

Reply #3
What is a matter of opinion ?

What you are after the iPod can't do.

Organising Music Library

Reply #4
on my ipod under artists I will end up with Deadmau5, Deadmau5 ft. Kaskade, Deadmau5 ft. Rob Swire all under different artists, when really they should all be under Deadmau5.

I think that's a matter of opinion

Fair enough.. But personally if I want to listen to deadmau5 on my ipod for example I'd like to be able to go to Deadmau5 under artists, select all albums and have all his music there.

Rather than have 10 different folders with Deadmau5 ft xxxxxxx, Deadmau5 ft yyyyyyyy, Deadmau5 ft zzzzzzzz, etc, particularly if all those folders will only have 1 song in them

Organising Music Library

Reply #5
The only solutions i know of are putting the album under compilations or by putting the "ft. Kaskade" in the song title.

It's a limitation of the iPod. It would be fantastic it is browsed by "Album Artist"  unfortunately it doesn't. The Apple TV does so i don't see why Apple can't add it to their iPods.