Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Burning lossless on-the-fly (Read 1590 times) previous topic - next topic

Burning lossless on-the-fly

There may be an alternative to Nero for burning via foobar2000 (Or possibly this would be better applied to something like Burrrn? Let the developers decide... that's why I posted it here, rather than in the foobar2000 forums.) if anyone can determine how to properly implement the "cat" command from SHNTool. The following info was taken from the SHNTool tutorial:
------------
3a. cat mode
------------

The purpose of cat mode is to write (catenate) the WAVE header, WAVE data,
and/or extra RIFF chunks from one or more files to standard output.  This can be
useful for things like on-the-fly CD burning or streaming audio.  I also use it
to verify the correctness of split, fixed, and joined files, by comparing
md5sums of the raw WAVE data for the input and output files.  Typing:

% shntool cat filename

or

% echo "filename" | shntool cat

will write the WAVE header, WAVE data, and any extra RIFF chunks from the given
file to standard output.  If you want to suppress the WAVE header and extra RIFF
chunks (which, if not suppressed, can cause 'clicks' at the beginning and/or end
of tracks when piping output to a CD-burning program that expects raw WAVE
data), then give the '-nh' (no header) and '-nr' (no extra RIFF chunks)
switches:

% shntool cat -nh -nr filename

I've tried a few simple batch strings, but so far the best I'm getting is a premature EOF. If you can get it to work, this would allow for on-the-fly burning of FLAC, WavPack, Monkey's Audio, Shorten, LPAC and OptimFrog (assuming the decoding speed was faster than the burning speed, in all cases). Anyone who wants to take a few swings at this is more than welcome to, but I'm about zonkered out after a looooonnng day.

- M.