Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Album Art Downloader XUI (Read 2034986 times) previous topic - next topic

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1550
So if there was an option where you could click and then it changes the save preference so that each search it remembers the directory location of the first save after the search.
How about this: instead of clicking Save As for the first image, set the path to save images before saving any images. Click the Options link (if it isn't already open), then in the "Save images to" box, click the > arrow to the right of it and choose "Browse". After setting it, you can just use single clicks to save as many images as you want to there.

Of course, it's even easier if you can avoid having to specify the path at all. If your music is in a well-organised structure you might be able to use the Artist and Album placeholders in the path to save images to, so it automatically puts them in the right place. Or, if you're launching the search from some other application, you might be able to pass the folder as a command line parameter.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1551
So if there was an option where you could click and then it changes the save preference so that each search it remembers the directory location of the first save after the search.
How about this: instead of clicking Save As for the first image, set the path to save images before saving any images. Click the Options link (if it isn't already open), then in the "Save images to" box, click the > arrow to the right of it and choose "Browse". After setting it, you can just use single clicks to save as many images as you want to there.

Of course, it's even easier if you can avoid having to specify the path at all. If your music is in a well-organised structure you might be able to use the Artist and Album placeholders in the path to save images to, so it automatically puts them in the right place. Or, if you're launching the search from some other application, you might be able to pass the folder as a command line parameter.

Sorry, I had not seen the options drop down. That is exactly what i wanted.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1552
GREAT PROGRAM!

How about an option to display any current album art, so that you know what image you already have and its size and quality, so that when searching you know if you want to replace any existing album art.

Also, when you change the search term the search goes to the back of the queue and looses its association with the correct folder. How about an instant re-search and keeping the association with the correct folder?

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1553
How about an option to display any current album art

That would be the Local Files Source. Or you can use the File Browser to search for albums and it will tell you which ones already have art and which do not.

How about an instant re-search and keeping the association with the correct folder?

Try clicking the Options link, and un-checking the "Open search results in new window". By default, it assumes that if you've changed the search terms, it's a new search. (details)

Thanks for your comments!

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1555
Fantastic program
2 things, is this possible to:
- if Artists = "VA" or "Various Artists", don't put that in the textBox, just leave it blank
- if Album ends with "(Disc 1)", "Disc 2", ... remove this from the Album title
all that before the search ?

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1556
Fantastic program
- if Artists = "VA" or "Various Artists", don't put that in the textBox, just leave it blank

These would be great! Exactly why I usually have to re-search.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1557
Fantastic program

Thanks for the comments. I'm afraid neither of those are possible right now. It could potentially be possible to get your album titles correct, depending on where they are coming from - if they are coming from the file browser it might be possible to use a path pattern matching that ended with "%album% (Disc *)\." so that the Disc part wouldn't be part of it, but that's about all I can suggest.

I don't want to leave out "Various Artists" by default, as it might be important for some sources, and it's easier to manually delete it than it would be to type it in. It's could be added as an optional feature, if I can think of a good way of presenting it.

For adjusting the album titles, I think looking for "Disc" is too specific. If I did add functionality to be able to do this, I'd want it to be configurable so you could choose how to process your album titles before searching for them - and that would end up being quite complicated. Fundamentally, "Disc 2" shouldn't be part of the album title at all, so I'm tempted to just consider the best solution to this as being to advise you to fix the album tags using software designed for that job, as unfriendly as that sounds...

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1558
Fundamentally, "Disc 2" shouldn't be part of the album title at all, so I'm tempted to just consider the best solution to this as being to advise you to fix the album tags using software designed for that job, as unfriendly as that sounds...

Agree, in my case these are old albums from back in my EAC days. Will indeed need to change these. Thank goodness for the tagging powers of dBpoweramp and this is no longer a problem with current rips.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1559
Sorry if this has been mentioned before and I missed it my search, but I consistently find that the "file browser" fails to find embedded art in the files of albums which have different artists for each of the tracks in the same album.  After I hit "search", I briefly see that AAD does detect the embedded album art, but then it quickly rolls up the album result to a single line, reports "various artists" as the artist, and shows that no album art was detected.

I have confimed in all such cases that all songs in the album had album art, and in all cases if I temporarily changed the album artist tags in the files to be the same for all files in the album, then AAD reported that it found album art.  I see this behavior on all of my compilation discs, which typically have different artists for each track.  I realize that if I deelte the actual artist information in the tag with just "various artists", this problem goes away, but I would like to keep the actual artist information intact.

All in all not a big deal, and I love your application!

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1560
How about an option to display any current album art

That would be the Local Files Source. Or you can use the File Browser to search for albums and it will tell you which ones already have art and which do not.

Alex

would be nice to have an option to always display the local results at the top. I like to group by size, but the local result, if there is one gets lost

thanks again!

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1561
it quickly rolls up the album result to a single line, reports "various artists" as the artist, and shows that no album art was detected.

Thanks for reporting this bug, I'll have it fixed in the next version.

would be nice to have an option to always display the local results at the top

I know it's not exactly what you're asking for, but you could try setting the Local Files source as Search First. In that case, when you do a search the first set of results will be just those from the Local Files source. You can look at those and decide whether they are good enough or not, and only if they aren't hit the search button again to search your other selected sources. If there are no local files results, it will just search the other sources straight away.

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1562
Thanks for the quick response.

Sorry for a noob question especially if I missed it in my forum search, but in using file browser to automatically download album art for multiple albums, I can't seem to control where the files are saved and how they are named.  The result is that all files are named the same and downloaded to the same spot (the same directory as my search location), and all results are overwritten and I only have the art for the last item in the selection.

The options other than save location that I defined in the AAD options area seem to come over to the file browser search window.

What am I missing?  Thanks again.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1563
...using file browser to automatically download album art for multiple albums, I can't seem to control where the files are saved and how they are named.

When using the file browser, art will be saved using the same pattern as is used to find existing art. For example, the default is to find Folder.jpg in the album folder, so when saving the art will be saved as Folder.jpg in the album folder.

To change this, click the Options link in the file browser window, and modify the "Specify path to find images" box (details)

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1564
Thanks for the explanation - I was afraid you were going to say that.  I have all of my songs in a single folder, and the automatic download feature does not seem to allow anything other than a file name of "folder.(extension)" saved in the same folder as the source files.

If I'm right, then in a future release it would be great if you could allow control of the file name and location so that it could be different than the source file location and "folder.(extension)".  You already have this ability in the normal search options, so hopefully adding this the the automatic download feature of File Browser is not a big deal.

thanks again.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1565

Sorry, I think you must have misunderstood me. This is absolutely possible already. What you need to do is go to the File Browser, click the Options link, and in the box labelled "Specify path to find images" clear out the text that's in there and put, for example %artist% - %album%.%extension% so that each album's artwork gets saved with a different filename. You can also put a path to a different folder in here, or whatever you want. If you really can't figure out what should go in the box, then give me a couple of examples of how you want the art saved and I can tell you.

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1566
Changing anything in "specify path to find images" in File Browser seems to not have any impact on my problem of how to tell AAD where to save images it downloads.  I tried lots of combinations but there was not any change in AAD still just downloading all files to the same directory with the same name of "folder.jpg".

I'm using verion 0.37.1.0

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1567
I'm not sure how to make it any more clear. When the file browser launches the automatic file downloader to download art for the albums you have selected there, it will pass it the first alternate (everything up to the first | character, or everything if there is no | character) in the "Specify path to find images" box to the automatic downloader to use as the default save location. It will also do this to the normal search window, so you can check it's correct before trying the automatic downlading by launching a search for a single album, and checking that it's being saved to the right place.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1568
You've been clear - thanks for your patience.  Thanks for the  tip on running a normal search to check things.

Here's what never worked:  nothing I entered in "specify path to image files" was passed to the automatic downloader.

Here's what worked: whatever I had entered manually into the save location in the normal search window was used for automatic downloading, regardless of what was in the "specify path to find images" box for automatic downloading.

So I did get things to work.  thanks again

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1569
hello, sorry if it was mentioned anywhere already, but the AAD isn't receiving any results from Cover-Paradise anymore. also GoogleSearch is returning zero today, not sure if it's temporary.

thanks for attention in advance

wanted to say, you're doing a great job with this piece of software, really makes life easier for me. keep up the great work!

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1570
AAD isn't receiving any results from Cover-Paradise anymore. also GoogleSearch is returning zero today, not sure if it's temporary.

Thanks for reporting these; I've put updated scripts for these two up now so they should show up in the online updates now.

Alex

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1571
wow, thanks for such amazingly quick response!

since we're on the topic... I was wondering for a while now, why AllCdCover starts showing small covers after a few searches, and then it takes at least an hour for it to get back track. is that unsolvable?

thanks again.

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1573
thanks for the reply, sorry I couldn't possibly read all 63 pages of the discussion
ah well, I'm used to that stupid site and their protectiveness.

thanks again for all the hard work.

P.S. kinda waiting for sites like 45cat.com and chartstats.com to have their own scripts, sometimes they have the best covers around, but they only randomly pop up on google search from time to time. not a request, by any means, I'm not that greedy

Album Art Downloader XUI

Reply #1574
kinda waiting for sites like 45cat.com and chartstats.com to have their own scripts

If nobody requests them, they're unlikely to get scripts! :-)

I'm not sure about 45cat, do people use AAD to get covers for Vinyl? Maybe they do, but it seems a bit odd. Chartstats looks worthwhile, though, I'll knock up a script for that one. Shame it doesn't have thumbnails, though.