Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar vs VLC (Read 1775 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar vs VLC

My old system was setup just the way I like using Foobar, then the motherboard flaked out and in rebuilding a new system its seems like its easier to just use VLC as my it plays everything solution, but I haven't started to dig deep to try and make all the connections with my ancient, but all digital AVR system (firewire or HDMI 1.1 or s/pdif of some sort).

The new PC will be main media source, video as well as music, so even if I end up with Foobar for music, I will still need to setup VLC for all the video content. Question is, do I need Foobar at that point?

Re: Foobar vs VLC

Reply #1
Of course. How do you manage your library with VLC ?

Re: Foobar vs VLC

Reply #3
Assume you're starting with a new HD? If so, are you aware you can save off your foobar setup (.fth file I believe?) and then use that with a fresh install so you're not starting from square one?
I use foobar to manage my library, but use VLC as the associated program for mp3s within Windows for playing one-offs.
I'm not aware VLC can 'manage' a library, meaning it wouldn't automatically add new files like foobar does?