Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lowpass cutoff freq. in relation to quality level (Read 5714 times) previous topic - next topic

Lowpass cutoff freq. in relation to quality level

For LAME MP3, it is simple to try and notice a table which describes how the lowpass cutoff frequency is set in relation to a VBR level per default, because LAME verbosely reports it at the console.

So I wonder if you can show me a similar overview - or at least a rough estimation - how it develops for Ogg Vorbis (original / aoTuV tunings) in relation to the quality levels.

I already read in another thread that Vorbis usually applies a cutoff at a minimum of 20 kHz. But for a low quality level it will possibly be noticably below, rather close to 16 kHz?

Of course one could compare sonographs of encoded noise, but hey, aoyumi is here, he might know it at first hand...

Reply #1
With this command line:
Code: [Select]
oggenc2.exe -q 0 --advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=22 test.wav

oggenc says:
Changed lowpass frequency from 15,100001 kHz to 22,000000 kHz

Also psych_44.h has the following values:
Code: [Select]

I assume it is lowpass frequencies (in kHz) for -2...10 quality settings (and 44.1 kHz input).

Reply #2
So it looks like -q 7 and above are unrestricted ... interesting.

Thank you, that appears to be the table another user in our board was looking for.