Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Splitting single file FLACs results additional snaps (Read 1892 times) previous topic - next topic

Splitting single file FLACs results additional snaps

Splitting single file FLACs results additional snaps. The problem is that in a couple of splitted albums I have a faint but an audible snap (usually in one channel) between two tracks which have a seamless transition. In single file flac it's fine, but in file-per track only between these two tracks there is a snap. The most puzzling thing that there is no snap when I playback tracks separately from each other (I mean not in the original order or jumping from one to another). I don't know whether it's incorrect splitting, CUETools bug, or playback settings, but in the majority of albums everything is ok. The snap persists regardless device, format or player. I tried to find any sort of snaps in Audacity, I'm not an expert but I didn't notice anything bad.

Re: Splitting single file FLACs results additional snaps

Reply #1
Maybe DC offset?

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/dc_offset.html
Proverb for Paranoids: "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers."
-T. Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow)

Reply #2
What are your CUETools' settings?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reply #3
My settings are almost the same

Reply #4
The snap persists regardless device, format or player.
It would be useful to know what exactly players you tried. Because not all players are the same (have proper gapless support).

Reply #5
MusicBee, stock Groove player, maybe AIMP on PC, Poweramp and Samsung Music on the phone

Reply #6
I almost "has to be" a small gap...   If you cut & re-join waveform "perfectly" you won't introduce a click.

If there's a gap in the middle of the waveform that can cause a click.

You can't hear DC offset (offset is zero-Hz).   But you can hear a click when it kicks-in or kicks-out.   That's usually at the beginning and end of the file but it could also happen at a gap.   If you're hearing it during silence between songs, it's probably an offset and a gap.

The best solution might be to cut the file at the zero-crossings with an audio editor.   A short gap at a zero crossing won't cause a click and if it's short-enough you won't notice it.