Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DTS 1536 Kb/s -> AAC, what bitrate to encode? (Read 14978 times) previous topic - next topic

DTS 1536 Kb/s -> AAC, what bitrate to encode?

Folks,

I'm converting a bunch of 5.1 DTS audio streams to AAC.  I'm able to convert the DTS stream to multichannel WAV for use with NeroAacEnc.  I'm performing 2-pass encoding with Nero.

Does anyone know what a good target (or max) bitrate for encoding should be?  I would like the AAC audio to be as identical to the source as possible.

Thanks

Reply #1
192Kbps VBR should be transparent for 2.0.

(2.0 Bitrate /2 X5) = 5.1 Bitrate with equivalent quality as 2.0

(192Kbps/2)X5=480Kbps VBR

If you want the equivalent quality for 5.1 channels as 192Kbps VBR for 2.0 channels then 480Kbps is your bitrate.

Anyway if I recall correctly when you use Nero with the default quality scale at 0.55, it adjusts the bitrate automatically according to the number of channels.

Also I think nowadays 2 pass isn't necessary with the default quality scale. I think the default scale is recommended.

Edit: If I can suggest you, try Eac3to with the Nero CLI encoder, you can do DTS to AAC directly.

Reply #2
Edit: If I can suggest you, try Eac3to with the Nero CLI encoder, you can do DTS to AAC directly.

Thanks.  eac3to is for Windows.  I'm not sure it will run from Wine.

Reply #3
by the way, i tried encoding at 640kbps. sound quality is near original.  I compared to same source with "aften" AAC encoded file at 640k.  AAC one from Nero sounds far better!

Reply #4
(640x2)/5=256Kbps

IMHO, Nero AAC 256Kbps VBR is overkill for 2.0, so 640Kbps is even more overkill for 5.1 as there will likely not be hard sounds to encode in it (electronic music & applauds...), but only voice with background music.

By the way aften is a terrible encoder, AC3 is already very bad itself, but aften is the worse AC3 encoder I tested, it's no surprize that Nero AAC beats it.
Just because it's free, it doesn't mean that it's good. It's so bad that I am pretty confident that Nero AAC 320Kbps 5.1 can rival with aften 640Kbps 5.1 ...

Reply #5
Folks,

I'm converting a bunch of 5.1 DTS audio streams to AAC.  I'm able to convert the DTS stream to multichannel WAV for use with NeroAacEnc.  I'm performing 2-pass encoding with Nero.

Does anyone know what a good target (or max) bitrate for encoding should be?  I would like the AAC audio to be as identical to the source as possible.

Thanks

You can convert directly from dts to aac with Foobar. I usually convert at 640kbps ABR. Using ~Q60-65 VBR should give you about the same rate.