Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What about the current quality stats? (Read 6373 times) previous topic - next topic

What about the current quality stats?

How is vorbis today? All I hear is vorbis blows (from those whose opinion I respect)
scramled eggs. etc =)

What is happening in the vorbis front?

Reply #1
I think everybody is waiting for RC3. I don't think people actually say Vorbis "blows" at the moment. It's very potential codec. Lets see what RC3 offers...
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #2
Originally posted by MTRH
How is vorbis today? All I hear is vorbis blows (from those whose opinion I respect)
scramled eggs. etc =)

Vorbis 'blows' about just as much as MP3 'sucks'

The current encoder (RC2) has a few known quality problems that aren't that bad but can be annoying if you are sensitive to them.

For a taste of what it can do, try my tuned version at http://sjeng.org/ftp/vorbis/

RC3 is expected end of next week and should fix the most audible problems in a better way.

Be carefull with whom you respect

--
GCP

Reply #3

The current release of Vorbis, RC2, was the first release to implement all of the features wanted for version 1, such as channel coupling. It's had little tuning done, and yet still managed to be rated equal to WMA and LAME MP3 at 128Kbps in the recent listening test.

If a new untuned release sounds as good as the best MP3 encoder, you can expect tuned encoders to sound much, much better.

RC3 will be out soon (for varying degrees of 'soon') with various issues fixed, including rejigging the output stream to support bitrate peeling with much less loss in quality than before.

Reply #4
I don't know who has been saying that vorbis "blows" but thats not really true at all.  Vorbis RC2 IS actually pretty good, it just still has a few issues though like Garf says, they may not be so bad to some people.  Infact, I think that Vorbis RC2 is providing higher quality than mp3 currently.  It probably falls somewhere between mp3 and aac at the moment.

If all that I hear is true, RC3 should attempt to address alot of these issues more directly, though we'll have to wait for it to come out to see exactly what happens.

Reply #5
For a taste of what it can do, try my tuned version at http://sjeng.org/ftp/vorbis/

Izzat pumpkins I hear? Sure sounds like Corgan...?

Sounds good, except that my laptop's souncard is less than stellar, so it has lots of crackling distortion in it.

Reply #6
Originally posted by Milkman.dan

Izzat pumpkins I hear? Sure sounds like Corgan...?

Sounds good, except that my laptop's souncard is less than stellar, so it has lots of crackling distortion in it.

Humm, the pugs30.ogg is a known problem sample. I think the tuned version does solve the problems there but I'm not sure.

The tuned version itself is oggrc2tune.exe or something like that.

The sample is from The Smashing Pumpkins - Adore.

--
GCP

Reply #7
Well no one said vorbis blows, I just wanted some response.. and hey I did 
I look into vorbis and will probably start using it as soon as you guys say RC3 rox =)
I just want someone familiar with vorbis to test it...
Thanx for the response m8ies!

Reply #8
Originally posted by Garf

Humm, the pugs30.ogg is a known problem sample. I think the tuned version does solve the problems there but I'm not sure.

The tuned version itself is oggrc2tune.exe or something like that.

The sample is from The Smashing Pumpkins - Adore.

-- 
GCP

Well, the distortion is of the obvious non-soundfile type. You can just tell that its 'overlaid' on the audio, rather than being a part of it. Like static on a radio. It just has such a distrinctly different tonality that you just know it's not the audio itself.

Yeah, this soundcard is a total pos. In case you couldn't tell by now.

Reply #9
It's good to hear that RC3 will be ready next end of the week.

Reply #10
Originally posted by Milkman.dan

Well, the distortion is of the obvious non-soundfile type. You can just tell that its 'overlaid' on the audio, rather than being a part of it. Like static on a radio. It just has such a distrinctly different tonality that you just know it's not the audio itself.

Yeah, this soundcard is a total pos. In case you couldn't tell by now.

Haha, I could.

I checked my mail and I'm now pretty sure the ogg up there is one with the problems fixed.

It was originally reported as 'Vorbis loses bass compared to original'. Vorbis has generally very high quality on bass so I investigated further and found it was a stereo noise hiss problem. I.e. the problem was not lack of bass but too much hiss.

The tuned ogg fixes that. But the same person reported that it sounded attenuated compared to the original. As far as I could verify, that's entirely psychological.

I just wish people would ABX before reporting problems

--
GCP