Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: error opening CUE file for playback (Read 17166 times) previous topic - next topic

error opening CUE file for playback

When I'm opening a cue sheet file generated with EAC 0.95b3 (non-compliant) I get this error:

Code: [Select]
opening file for playback - file path: "file://C:\Temp\Everything Falls Apart And More.cue" / index: 0
error opening file for playback (Unsupported format or corrupted file) - file path: "file://C:\Temp\Everything Falls Apart And More.cue" / index: 0
opening file for playback - file path: "silence://1" / index: 0

This is the cue sheet:

REM GENRE Rock
REM DATE 1993
REM DISCID E509ED13
REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v0.95b3"
PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
TITLE "Everything Falls Apart And More"
FILE "01 - From The Gut.wav" WAVE
 TRACK 01 AUDIO
   TITLE "From The Gut"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
   INDEX 01 00:00:00
 TRACK 02 AUDIO
   TITLE "Blah, Blah, Blah"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
   INDEX 00 01:40:45
FILE "02 - Blah, Blah, Blah.wav" WAVE
 TRACK 03 AUDIO
   TITLE "Punch Drunk"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
   INDEX 00 02:09:42
FILE "03 - Punch Drunk.wav" WAVE
FILE "04 - Bricklayer.wav" WAVE
 TRACK 04 AUDIO
   TITLE "Bricklayer"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
FILE "05 - Afraid Of Being Wrong.wav" WAVE
 TRACK 05 AUDIO
   TITLE "Afraid Of Being Wrong"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
 TRACK 06 AUDIO
   TITLE "Sunshine Superman"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
   INDEX 00 01:22:55
FILE "06 - Sunshine Superman.wav" WAVE
FILE "07 - Signals From Above.wav" WAVE
 TRACK 07 AUDIO
   TITLE "Signals From Above"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
FILE "08 - Everything Falls Apart.wav" WAVE
 TRACK 08 AUDIO
   TITLE "Everything Falls Apart"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
 TRACK 09 AUDIO
   TITLE "Wheels"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
   INDEX 00 02:14:02
FILE "09 - Wheels.wav" WAVE
FILE "10 - Target.wav" WAVE
 TRACK 10 AUDIO
   TITLE "Target"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
FILE "11 - Obnoxious.wav" WAVE
 TRACK 11 AUDIO
   TITLE "Obnoxious"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
FILE "12 - Gravity.wav" WAVE
 TRACK 12 AUDIO
   TITLE "Gravity"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
 TRACK 13 AUDIO
   TITLE "In A Free Land"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
   INDEX 00 02:38:25
FILE "13 - In A Free Land.wav" WAVE
 TRACK 14 AUDIO
   TITLE "What Do I Want?"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
   INDEX 00 02:52:10
FILE "14 - What Do I Want .wav" WAVE
 TRACK 15 AUDIO
   TITLE "M. I. C."
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
   INDEX 00 01:13:60
FILE "15 - M. I. C..wav" WAVE
 TRACK 16 AUDIO
   TITLE "Statues"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
   INDEX 00 01:09:17
FILE "16 - Statues.wav" WAVE
 TRACK 17 AUDIO
   TITLE "Let's Go Die"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
   INDEX 00 08:43:06
FILE "17 - Let's Go Die.wav" WAVE
 TRACK 18 AUDIO
   TITLE "Amusement"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
   INDEX 00 01:52:66
FILE "18 - Amusement.wav" WAVE
 TRACK 19 AUDIO
   TITLE "Do You Remember?"
   PERFORMER "Hüsker Dü"
   INDEX 00 04:54:19
FILE "19 - Do You Remember .wav" WAVE

I think prior versions of foobar 0.9 worked fine. Using the other cue sheet alternatives EAC has to offer either give me another error (leftout gaps):
cuesheet parsing error : unknown cuesheet item
error opening file for playback (Unsupported format or corrupted file) - file path: "file://C:\Temp\Everything Falls Apart And More 4.CUE" / index: 0
opening file for playback - file path: "silence://1" / index: 0
or they result in wrong starting points for some tracks (corrected gaps).

Don't tell me this is intentional and a final decision, related to the "fb2k won't accept cue sheets with errors", because it's ridiculous. It makes using fb2k with cue sheets unusable for me.

EDIT: foobar2000 version is 0.9 beta 7...

Reply #1
I'm wondering, will the strict cue sheet handling of the beta version 7 and up be the same in the final 0.9x?

Atm, I'm stuck with beta 6, because of this...

EDIT: Well at least, is there a chance someone will write a new input plugin for the final 0.9 that accepts EAC cue sheets again?

Hello, anybody? No-one cares? Is it too soon or no-one noticed this yet?

Reply #2
I agree. Why fix something that isn't broken? I mean it has worked well, why not let it accept some errors? At least some check box to allow errors would be OK.

Reply #3
Exactly, and I even think from after the 0.9 official release onward it will immediately scare away new users who do a lot with CD rips.

Reply #4
Currently I'm still using beta 6, and I don't want to be bothered with deinstalling beta 6, installing beta 9, and if cue sheet handling is still "over-fixed", go back to beta 6 again.

So, I wanna know, does beta 9 handles "non-compliant" cue sheets generated by EAC again correctly?

I asked for this overtly strict behaviour to be fixed or be reduced in a similar post before, but got no real answer.

Reply #5
I'm not overly motivated to restructure whole cuesheet parser/builder library to handle per-index file references because single person has been using the wrong settings in EAC and now is trying to delay the inevitable and avoid reripping all his music.

And no, it's not a matter of a single edit because "most obvious" solution will break your cuesheets after tag update.

Spamming your problem in multiple threads won't help you either.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #6
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=329331"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK, if you call it spamming. I wouldn't, anyway it finally got me an answer. 

Reply #7
[deleted+edit]: i thought it reads noncompliant cues but i only tested with a cd which had no gaps

single files with appended gaps + noncompliant cuesheet (which is the right mode for those files) indeed doesn't work

Reply #8
I'm not overly motivated to restructure whole cuesheet parser/builder library to handle per-index file references because single person has been using the wrong settings in EAC and now is trying to delay the inevitable and avoid reripping all his music.

EAC's non-comliant cuesheets are not "the wrong settings."  If you rip to seperate files with gaps appended to the ends of tracks that is the ONLY cuesheet that will result in you being able to burn an exact copy of the original disc.  Each cuesheet option in EAC is for the different gap appending methods.  Without gaps is for rips with gaps removed, gaps corrected is for when gaps are appended to the Next track.  Something like that.
I don't use cuesheets for playback since it seems pointless when you can just use a proper m3u or some other playlist.  Last I check cuesheets were intended for burning, not as a playlist.  So the entire component seems pointless for the most part.

Reply #9

And no, it's not a matter of a single edit because "most obvious" solution will break your cuesheets after tag update.

I won't be motivated to use foobar anymore, if my cuesheets (worked until beta 7) will not work on it. And i'm not using multifile cue sheet but single file. How can anybody afford to write at beta 9 version changes "fixed issues with cuesheets" when it isn't fixed at all!

Reply #10
I won't be motivated to use foobar anymore, if my cuesheets (worked until beta 7) will not work on it. And i'm not using multifile cue sheet but single file. How can anybody afford to write at beta 9 version changes "fixed issues with cuesheets" when it isn't fixed at all!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=330152"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

do you think anybody cares if you're motivated to use foobar or not? you won't reach anything with this kind of posts. you can kindly ask the developers if they integrate the feature you need and tell us why it could be useful for others too. would you like it if you spend as much time as the foobar developers do on this great application to get such a feedback ?

Reply #11
do you think anybody cares...

i think, developers should care...and by the way.. do you want to tell me nobody knows why playing cuesheets from EAC in foobar is useful? - and finally "such a feedback"...there is feedback as is - not soft or kind or sharp or even unkind...simply feedback and that's all.

Reply #12
Does anyone know how to convert separate tracks with noncompliant CUE to a proper image?

Reply #13
Easiest but time-consuming way: Re-rip.

Actually you don't have to rip your physical CDs again (or burn and then rip, in case it is a bootleg or something). You could use an image mounter like Daemon Tools. It has no problems with EAC-cuesheets. This will speed the whole thing up tremendously.
  • install Daemon Tools
  • mount the IMAGE+CUE
  • setup the new drive in EAC (or any other ripper, even fb2k is now possible, since being a virtual CD-ROM there's no need for a secure ripper), remember the offset correction is "0" with this virtual drive, no special options are needed
  • detect gaps (F4)
  • rip it to single files with no cue sheet (EAC won't make a compliant CUE sheet with single tracks) or single wav with (compliant) cue sheet (Alt-F7)
EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention another solution:
Stick to fb2k 0.9 beta 6 and wait until after the final release, maybe someone will write a working cue parser. That's what I do.

Reply #14

zZzZzZz, can you please clarify your post? Because, AFAIK the thread starter's Cue sheet looks OK to me. I see no reason why it would fail in foobar2000.
Or are you implying the EAC author misdesigned his Cue sheet?

Please give us some details. This topic affects a great deal of this community.

Looking forward to your reply,
liekloo

Reply #15
[...] AFAIK the thread starter's Cue sheet looks OK to me. I see no reason why it would fail in foobar2000.
Or are you implying the EAC author misdesigned his Cue sheet?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331485"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you bother to read cuesheet specifications, you'll see that the cuesheet Fandango posted is broken on way more than one level (tracks need to be defined per-file, the first index in a track must start at 00:00:00, etc etc)

So yes, EAC is writing cuesheets that are simply broken. I'd suggest complaining to the EAC author instead of waiting for support for this crap.
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #16
EAC does state that the format is "non-compliant".

Unfortunately, if you are using multiple files and want to retain gaps, it is the best format.

I understand the reasoning, but it would be a shame if foobar neglected it.

Edit: FYI: This comes from someone who uses images with compliant cuesheets.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #17
Easiest but time-consuming way: Re-rip.

Actually you don't have to rip your physical CDs again (or burn and then rip, in case it is a bootleg or something). You could use an image mounter like Daemon Tools. It has no problems with EAC-cuesheets. This will speed the whole thing up tremendously.
  • install Daemon Tools
  • mount the IMAGE+CUE
  • setup the new drive in EAC (or any other ripper, even fb2k is now possible, since being a virtual CD-ROM there's no need for a secure ripper), remember the offset correction is "0" with this virtual drive, no special options are needed
  • detect gaps (F4)
  • rip it to single files with no cue sheet (EAC won't make a compliant CUE sheet with single tracks) or single wav with (compliant) cue sheet (Alt-F7)
EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention another solution:
Stick to fb2k 0.9 beta 6 and wait until after the final release, maybe someone will write a working cue parser. That's what I do.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331470"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unfortunately, these aren't my CD so I can't rerip them..
Daemon Tools doesn't support non-compliant CUEs. Neither does Alcohol 120%

Unfortunately, if you are using multiple files and want to retain gaps, it is the best format.

Why?

Reply #18
I've just managed to rip a cd to a single wav + cue using 0.9b9's "Convert to album images with cuesheets or chapters" command. However fb2k refuses to handle the cuesheet:

Am I missing something?

Reply #19
I've just managed to rip a cd to a single wav + cue using 0.9b9's "Convert to album images with cuesheets or chapters" command. However fb2k refuses to handle the cuesheet:

Am I missing something?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331576"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Please post any cuesheets that don't load, otherwise there's nothing we can do about the report.

Reply #20
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331517"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The "best" format would be cuesheets that contain proper 1..n tracks : 1 file mapping and correct index markers.

On a tangent, I'd be curious to see which burning software handles Fandango's cuesheets the way he expects.

Reply #21
Please post any cuesheets that don't load, otherwise there's nothing we can do about the report.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=331581\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
REM GENRE Electronic
REM DATE 1996
REM COMMENT Virgin / EMI
7243 8 42609 27
UPC: 724384 260927 YEAR: 1996
PERFORMER "Daft Punk"
TITLE "Homework"
FILE "Daft Punk - Homework.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Daftendirekt"
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "WDPK 83.7 FM"
    INDEX 01 02:44:42
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Revolution 909"
    INDEX 01 03:12:67
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Da Funk"
    INDEX 01 08:39:35
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Phoenix"
    INDEX 01 14:08:72
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Fresh"
    INDEX 01 19:06:05
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Around The World"
    INDEX 01 23:10:35
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Rollin' & Scratchin'"
    INDEX 01 30:20:00
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "Teachers"
    INDEX 01 37:47:40
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "High Fidelity"
    INDEX 01 40:41:02
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    TITLE "Rock'n Roll"
    INDEX 01 46:43:37
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    TITLE "Oh Yeah"
    INDEX 01 54:17:27
  TRACK 13 AUDIO
    TITLE "Burnin'"
    INDEX 01 56:18:42
  TRACK 14 AUDIO
    TITLE "Indo Silver Club"
    INDEX 01 63:12:17
  TRACK 15 AUDIO
    TITLE "Alive"
    INDEX 01 67:46:72
  TRACK 16 AUDIO
    TITLE "Funk Ad"
    INDEX 01 73:02:17
..okay, after checking out the .cue above, the problem seems obvious - EOL chars in the comment field. I didn't spot this initially since Notepad simply displays a box.

Reply #22
Thanks for the report, cuesheet writer should be changed to block end-of-line markers and such.

Reply #23
Unfortunately, these aren't my CD so I can't rerip them..
Daemon Tools doesn't support non-compliant CUEs. Neither does Alcohol 120% [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331555"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Of course, it does. Mounting most probably fails because the audio files are in a format not supported by Daemon Tools. PCM wave and APE works, FLAC does not, for instance.

On a tangent, I'd be curious to see which burning software handles Fandango's cuesheets the way he expects.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331585"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

EAC does...
Ever heard of EAC?

Reply #24
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331585"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

EAC does...
Ever heard of EAC?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331597"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well no shit, Sherlock. Of course it supports its own broken crap. And I know Burrrn explicitly touts support for EAC's noncompliant cuesheets as well. But how about other burning software? CDRWIN (not that it's relevant any more)? Nero? etc etc.