Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Quality (again). (Read 2789 times) previous topic - next topic

Quality (again).

I know that I`ve asked such question some time ago, but times change, new Fb2k versions come and new hardware too. So I`m starting this topic to generally talk about getting best playback quality possible.
At the beggining I`d like to say what configuration do I have:

Asus A7V8X-X; AMD Athlon 2500+; 512 Kingston DDR @ 333MHz; SB Audigy 2;  Leadtek GF FX 5600 Ultra; Seagate Barracuda ST380011A 80GB; Creative Inspire 6.1 6700.

I`ve done some tests using newest beta and last stable version of Foobar on oryginal Creative and kX drivers and that`s what I`ve noticed:

- Overall lossy format playback quality seems higher using kX drivers than standard ones on all Fb2k settings.
- Resampling doasn`t give so big bost in quality using kX than in Creative.
- Hiss level is a lot less noticable using kX than Creative.

Ok, now You`ll say - what the hell have kX drivers to Fb2k forums?
I`m heading straight to explain:

I won`t use kX drivers all over the time cause they don`t use all potential dreaming in Audigy 2 board, so I`m standing with Creative software and I`m asking all of You experienced people about Fb2k optimal settings.

I use 24Bit streaming without dightering on Kernell Streaming with DSP settings as follows:

Resampler - 96KHz
Soft clipping limiter
Advenced limiter
Gap killer
Skip silence
Crossfader

It makes processor ussage at approx. level of 22% (2500+ @ 1833MHz).
What`s weird, when I switch slow mode on resampler, processor usage level doasn`t grow above 22% (also difference isn`t noticable too).
What do You think about dightering, should I use it or not, and what about my DSP settins, are they correct in order, or meaby I forgot/added too much to it?

I`m waiting for Your opinion.
"The brightest flame burns quickest..."

Quality (again).

Reply #1
I use 24Bit streaming without dightering on Kernell Streaming with DSP settings as follows:

Resampler - 96KHz
Soft clipping limiter
Advenced limiter
Gap killer
Skip silence
Crossfader

Look here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/show.php/showtopic/18086

Quality (again).

Reply #2
Making long story short:
1.Resampler set to 96Khz is totaly overkill. You waste your CPU cycles and don't have quality gains
2.If you use advanced limiter then AFAIK soft clipping limiter isn't needed
3.To prevent problems switch to direct sound output

Quality (again).

Reply #3
Thanks for the link.

So what settings should I use on Resampler? 48KHz?

Will the 24/96 sound go through Kernell Streaming or must I use Direct Sound?

And how about setting CMSS on, I have 6.1 sound system and I need to set it on so all speakers can play instead of 2.1 configuration, does CMSS really downsample sound to 16/41?

Quality (again).

Reply #4
So what settings should I use on Resampler? 48KHz?

Yes.

Quality (again).

Reply #5
Geez it`s nuts:

My bad, it's only the Bass Redirect that affects 24/96 capability (of the Bass Management settings).

To conclude for those wanting 24/96 capability:
* No EAX effects (the box should be unticked)
* No CMSS
* No Speaker Calibration (don't ever touch that one - it has a bug in that it doesn't reset itself on most systems, Chastity's not included).
* No bass redirection
* No change of the bass/treble levels (they should be at 50/50)

If only kX would have EAX support...